StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Squeeze 'em by the "BOLLs"<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>Post Follow-up
lockwhiz
206 posts
msg #48870
Ignore lockwhiz
12/30/2006 10:12:45 PM

I am looking for a good bollinger squeeze. I have one screen in the works, but want to see what others may have. My screen came up with these decent looking squeezes, today Saturday December 30, 2006. What do you have ?

LENS
UWN
CNE
GPM
GB

wallman
299 posts
msg #48874
Ignore wallman
modified
12/30/2006 11:35:19 PM

rrochon

10/27/2004 2:33:25 PM

"How do you write a filter to get a bollinger band squeeze like ZICA?"

Too funny,26 months ago,same stock,same problem.

Lockwhiz,
do a search on Bollinger Band Squeeze here at SF,you'll have over a dozen filters to look at.

wallman
299 posts
msg #48875
Ignore wallman
12/31/2006 12:02:24 AM

Ok,i found my reply 26 months ago:

wallman

10/27/2004 8:21:57 PM

Dick,IF you're talking about its break on 9-21,i've said this a few times here, you DO NOT need a filter to pick these up,all you need is a site such as i use ,www.smallcapcenter.com,punch in abnormal vol increase (in this case a nothing vol stock to 120k) and abnormal price increase,and for myself i like to use 15 and 80 day resistance break at smallcapcenter, i know that it picked it up that day because i remember looking at it,for squeeze breaks scans beats filters everytime imo

You can use this scan at the end of the day and CHART them to see if the stock is breaking on the exact first day of it's breakout.
ZICA from that breakout at around $2 ran to over $4 in 2 weeks.
8 weeks later this stock broke again at 4.50 on 12/9/04 to a high of 8 on 12/27/04
See why it's rewarding to remember these former runners?
Some things never change.

lockwhiz
206 posts
msg #48876
Ignore lockwhiz
modified
12/31/2006 10:13:11 AM

Muddy,

ZICA ! ... yes history repeats itself ...LOL

As usual, thanks for the direction to head. I did see a few within the disussion pages that I liked...

I am hoping to spark some interest to get some active discussion going. Although my arsenal of screens is fairly extensive, I always appreciate a different slant ...or a different tweek. The "think tank" mentality....the way this was a couple of years ago. YEPHER did a great job bringing the easy to use and up to date userguide...his work was impressive..and also offered answers to many screens....I still visit he page regularly. HOLYGRAIL with his thinking "out of the box" and bringing these different views to us. The RUMPLEDONE is obviously someone who enjoys the challenge of coding ... and tackles just about any challenge brought to him...the guy is amazing. Most impressive, I think, was way back when he posted the BOOLEAN logic ... awesome. And of course WALLMAN with the muddy logic and the giving the filters that didn't have the bells and whistles ...but worked !.... that brought focus to a bunch of users ...nicely done.

....many others too...TXTRAPPER, EWZUBER, XPLORER, MURKND, TODDUNNING, MUDDYTRAKS, JOEGROSSINGER, RROCHON, KGRIFFEN, TRADERBLUES ... there are a ton of contributors that made this a great place...I apologize for the names I may have missed....the list is extensive. (..some brought controversy, but still had value....)

Anyways to be successful in trading you have to keep an open mind ... be dynamic in your trading techniques. The best way to do this is to keep the discussions active...what you give, you will get bacsk 10 fold! So,lets see some other screens ... or some stocks of interest !

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #48878
Ignore TheRumpledOne
12/31/2006 11:43:45 AM

Fetcher[
/* Bollinger Band Width 200 day low */

bollinger Width(20,2) equal bollinger Width(20,2) 200 day low

and close is between 1 and 10

and add column average volume(90)

sort column 5 descending

draw ema(13)
draw ma(20)
draw bollinger band(20)
]

You can change

bollinger Width(20,2) equal bollinger Width(20,2) 200 day low

to filter for 100 day low or whatever.

HTH.

lockwhiz
206 posts
msg #48882
Ignore lockwhiz
12/31/2006 6:44:40 PM

TRO,
That's the "other slant" I was looking for (second filter posted)... Nicely done.

Greatly appreciated !

petrolpeter
439 posts
msg #49395
Ignore petrolpeter
1/19/2007 4:37:58 PM

Another squeezer:
Fetcher[4 day slope of upper bollinger band(12) is below 0 and 4 day slope of lower bollinger band(12) is above 0 and 3 day slope of close is above -.05 and draw bollinger bands and draw bollinger band(12) and volume(20) is above 400000 and close is above 1 and date offset 0]

Note relationship between time frames.These 2 two fiters should cover most squeezes.

Muddy
55 posts
msg #49434
Ignore Muddy
1/21/2007 12:59:32 PM

This from:
http://www.bollingeronbollingerbands.com/methods/

"Now, for Method I. Years ago the late Bruce Babcock of Commodity Traders Consumers Review interviewed me for that publication. After the interview we chatted for a while--the interviewing gradually reversed--and it came out that his favorite commodity trading approach was the volatility breakout. I could hardly believe my ears. Here is the fellow who had examined more trading systems--and done so rigorously--than anyone with the possible exception of John Hill of Futures Truth and he was saying that his approach of choice to trading was the volatility-breakout system? The very approach that I thought best for trading after a lot of investigation?"

Just what I've been saying for years.

Also this:
"Perhaps the most elegant direct application of Bollinger Bands is a volatility breakout system."
Our version of the venerable volatility breakout system utilizes BandWidth to set the precondition and then takes a position when a breakout occurs."

And what i've always STRONGLY believed:
"Most often this will occur within the bands and you won't get a breakout signal until after the real move is under way."
Note the word "AFTER"

Look at a 3 month chart of LTS,it's the "hot" stock on the message boards NOW.
But myself and the few others I trade with picked it up on 1/8 when it broke the "squeeze" on HUGE volume and white candle being pierced by the UBB.
Factors I've mentioned for years here on the forums.

I'd hate to see this thread die but with ALL DUE RESPECT the last 2 filters posted here show no squeeze in progress on almost all the matches it picks up.
I charted 4 stocks I know from both filters.
From the first ESLR WTSLA ENER DPTR,the second CPST MOT XTO CDE(bands way wide on this?)
The few that are semi-squeezes you'll maybe wait weeks for a validation of a squeeze/break IF EVER.
IMO,Such a waste of time and effort tracking these when you can find ones(and do your DD)the night of the squeeze/break.

Why not get the patterns of a REAL squeeze and wait for the first breakout to occur?

Muddy
55 posts
msg #49435
Ignore Muddy
1/21/2007 1:46:42 PM

Why i don't mind giving up a nice percentage gain to catch them after the breakout.
This from a post almost 3 years ago:

wallman (Muddy)

4/15/2004 11:56:56 AM

note ABIX today which broke out 4-12 on an unreal volume increase of 4500 shares to 746k,yesterday the price pulled back to the EMA13,the stock has maintained its large volume surge over the past few days and today right now it is up about 110% with over 7 million shares traded!,i wouldn't doubt that it will run even further by late afternoon

And a reply:

cegis

4/15/2004 3:58:24 PM

wallman,

Thanks for your insights...

And you were right on ABIX running this afternoon! Up +206+% as I write this (7 min before market close)... Hope you got some of that booty!!!!

petrolpeter
439 posts
msg #49437
Ignore petrolpeter
1/21/2007 2:56:06 PM

Hi Muddy,the reason I updated these filters has to do with the reversal in oil stocks on the morning of 1/19/07.Do a 1/18/07 scan on that 4 days slope of bb(12) filter to see them:XLE,XOM,SLB,OIH,VLO,CVX,DVN,XTO,,,,,,,,,,,.These two filters are squeezes in the beginning proccess,not break-outs,there are many other filters for break-outs after they happen and I use some myself.I use these to put myself sitting right in the middle of the tightest squeeze zone and to take advantage of the possable break-out result,although this last filter sometimes comes in even befor that,bands still wide on the backside, but coming in.On the morning of 1/19/07 most of these oil stocks took off from 8:45 to 11:00AM,great morning plays using 1-3-5 minute candles,check intraday charts.The best description I can give on these particular filtering tools is HANS on 12/1/06 and around 1/1/07 with BB(12).

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Squeeze 'em by the "BOLLs"<< 1 2 3 4 5 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.