StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Can you make money on TA alone?<< 1 2 3 4 >>Post Follow-up
four
5,087 posts
msg #142146
Ignore four
modified
2/12/2018 1:19:15 AM

Objective:
http://www.futuresmag.com/2011/12/31/simple-money-management-wins-over-time?page=1

AND

Subjective:
http://www.futuresmag.com/2017/05/19/decision-neuroscience?page=2

AND

Both:
https://www.youtube.com/user/TrendFollowing/videos

==

The filter/analysis is only part of the equation/system.

ron22
255 posts
msg #142149
Ignore ron22
2/12/2018 6:18:39 AM

Mike, Thank you for your reply. I have two questions. 1. Do you go long above the open of the open candle or long above the high of the open candle? 2. Can you recommend a SF filter to scan for stocks to create a watchlist for this system?

Four, Thank you for the links. The articles and videos are very informative.

SF is great. I wish I found it years ago. Still trying to be profitable on a consistent basis.

miketranz
956 posts
msg #142150
Ignore miketranz
modified
2/12/2018 8:35:13 AM

Ron,go long above the high of the first completed candle.What I do is draw a line a few ticks above the high and execute if and when that line is broken,that way I know order flow is moving in the right direction.I haven't found any filters on here that would pertain to this set up,but would encourage any input.My theory is finding stocks that have the ability to move right off the open,the longer the range the better,without trading under the open print.Gap opens work well,but it's more of a dynamic process.You have to be at the screen watching for pre market movers.Shorts seem to move more rapidly than longs.I just started working with this set up recently.It took me 22 years to figure it out so hang in there.It's a life long learning process.Best,Miketranz...

four
5,087 posts
msg #142154
Ignore four
2/12/2018 11:16:07 AM

ron22
welcome

emwalker
35 posts
msg #142177
Ignore emwalker
2/13/2018 9:54:09 AM

I appreciate all the links being posted, but can anyone answer this...

Does anyone have a scan that they follow religiously and continue to make a profit? I'm not talking about using a scan to narrow down a list of stocks, then just looking at a bunch of other things, then going with what you feel is a good pick. I mean, run this scan, buy whatever is returned, sell on the sell signal, done.

pthomas215
1,251 posts
msg #142178
Ignore pthomas215
2/13/2018 10:33:03 AM

emwalker, i think you are looking for something that doesnt really exist. there is no perfect filter because markets are so dynamic. they move constantly, with parameters changing.

emwalker
35 posts
msg #142179
Ignore emwalker
2/13/2018 11:03:23 AM

I agree, it doesn't exist. Which is what made me think of my original question of "can you make money on TA alone?" If parameters are always shifting, then what is the point of technical analysis? Its like trying to hitting a moving dart board blindfolded. You may find a stock and say "hey the indicators on this look great!" But great based on what? previous examples? "great" indicators may have worked in those previous examples, but as we are saying, things are constantly changing. So how can you know the indicators look "great" for that specific moment in time? You cant! So again, what is the point of technical analysis? I think I could keep talking in circles all day about this!

miketranz
956 posts
msg #142180
Ignore miketranz
2/13/2018 11:09:51 AM

Goldman Sachs...

pthomas215
1,251 posts
msg #142181
Ignore pthomas215
2/13/2018 11:35:08 AM

emwalker, the short answer is yes to your question though. you can make money on TA alone, much of the time. For example, you can use a MACD indicator for entry that will most likely put you at a good cost basis on your trade. I use terms like 'most likely' and 'much of the time' because investment management is about exposing your money in a position where you have the highest probabilities of getting a return. you never have 100% certainty. you dont have 100% certainty of just about anything, but you have probabilities. and technical analysis can increase your probabilities of having successful trades.

emwalker
35 posts
msg #142182
Ignore emwalker
modified
2/13/2018 11:58:11 AM

But you wouldn't just go blindly buy every MACD buy signal you get. You'd bleed to death from all the whipsaws and false moves. You'd likely take the stocks returned that give a buy signal, do a bunch of other non TA stuff and buy one. And I'm not looking for 100% accuracy, I know that's impossible.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Can you make money on TA alone?<< 1 2 3 4 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.