StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · A big Congrats to Ed S. (aka Nibor100)<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up
KSK8
561 posts
msg #149986
Ignore KSK8
12/23/2019 10:51:52 AM

Hats to you Nibor100, nice job!

nibor100
1,010 posts
msg #149989
Ignore nibor100
12/23/2019 3:07:06 PM

1. Thanks to everyone who congratulated me for my Vector Vest contest win.

I don't really think it was that big a deal as the contest was limited to Vector Vest subscribers who also belonged to a VV user group.

2. A special thanks must also go to 2 SF'rs, GlGene and KSK8, as the shorting strategy I used to win that contest, I developed in response the KSK8's continual challenge to the rest of us SF'rs to come up with a better most Profitable Thread; and to Gene for running the Villages VV User Group that I'm a member of as there is no longer an Orlando VV group.

3. Most of the answers to the various questions about my approach are answered in the first 8 minutes of a VV You Tube video entitled "Learn From the Leaders and Trade Like a Pro" which can be found by searching You Tube for Vector Vest and then choosing Videos at the top of the webpage then scroll down about 15 rows until you see that video title.

or try this link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmDsPZtgSi8&t=253s

If there are still questions after watching those 8 minutes I'll answer the best I can,
Ed S.

glgene
613 posts
msg #149991
Ignore glgene
12/23/2019 5:51:24 PM

Ed,

You are too humble. There are 84 User Groups (worldwide) in VectorVest... and you captured 1st place in the USA contest... and, in addition, 1st place among contestants from all 84 Worldwide Groups (spread across 7 countries).

In essence... You are #1 (twice). Enjoy that “double” honor!

Gene in Florida

karennma
8,057 posts
msg #149992
Ignore karennma
12/23/2019 6:29:09 PM

glgene
556 posts
msg #149991
- Ignore glgene 12/23/2019 5:51:24 PM
Ed,
You are too humble. There are 84 User Groups (worldwide) in VectorVest... and you captured 1st place in the USA contest... and, in addition, 1st place among contestants from all 84 Worldwide Groups (spread across 7 countries).
In essence... You are #1 (twice). Enjoy that “double” honor!
Gene in Florida

============================
THAT IS really something!!
Congrats!

Mactheriverrat
3,132 posts
msg #149999
Ignore Mactheriverrat
12/24/2019 12:02:47 AM

Congrats ED!

snappyfrog
651 posts
msg #150000
Ignore snappyfrog
12/24/2019 6:39:06 AM

I watched the first 8 min of the video. They "assume" what you did (and I think they are right). That was a great Hail Mary pass. But, the reality is that you saw a similar pattern in the past (always look left) and took advantage of the history. Great play!

KSK8
561 posts
msg #150006
Ignore KSK8
12/24/2019 11:48:59 AM

Nibor100, once again, great job! I'm impressed you were able to hold through that SES squeeze.
So if I may ask, what approach did you take for your shorting setups?

nibor100
1,010 posts
msg #150010
Ignore nibor100
12/24/2019 3:24:35 PM

Below is what I told the 2 VV contest officials when I was interviewed about my winning contest entry, I had prepared it in advance once I knew I'd won so I wouldn't leave out any details.

Ed S.

Goals going into contest
1. Finish in top 3 places with emphasis on winning as the prize money will be lower than usual

2. Learn some new stuff
a. Process for making short trades using VV Portfolio Manager
b. Observe how double and triple ETFs offset each other, is there really a downward bias

From recent competitions generally leaders are established in the 1st 2 weeks along with the level of gains needed to win
Many times the winners are between 20 -30%.

Rules that could be a problem for my entry
1. Must always have at least 5 positions
2. Real Time users would have tremendous advantage and might have much higher gains than 30% by the end
3. Intraday users like me have to finish their order input by 8am the day of the trade

My Plan
Use very aggressive shorting approach based on a guy's 1 day short strategy up 2,629% since March
a. develop a shorting search in Unisearch
b. wait 2 weeks for leaders to settle in the top 3 Gain levels
c. use almost all of portfolio on 1 to 3 stocks when shorting
d. study graphs to make sure stock history supports my shorting candidates
e. Protect gains if I'm in top 3 during last week due to our Villages user group lesson learned in an earlier contest

My Search in VV Unisearch

Time of Search, Stock %PRC-(Percent Price Change), >50
Time of Search, Stock Price (Actual), >=1
Time of Search, Stock Price (Actual),<=50
Sort is VST descending

1 year VV7 backtest results
, 431% Gain, 66% winners, 21% Max Drawdown,184 completed trades
no more than 5 stocks held at one time, 15% Gain or 10% Loss

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · A big Congrats to Ed S. (aka Nibor100)<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.