StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · I'm tired of losing money - can someone give me something that works?<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up
shillllihs
5,963 posts
msg #147302
Ignore shillllihs
4/10/2019 11:02:08 PM

The DMA thing was hilarious. I was maligned for trying to warn people about how bad it was. Took awhile for everyone to finally get it.

miketranz
956 posts
msg #147309
Ignore miketranz
4/11/2019 10:06:15 AM

Steve,I have two questions for you.1)How long have you been trading? 2)Who told you that you can make money in the markets? Miketranz...

snappyfrog
651 posts
msg #147311
Ignore snappyfrog
4/11/2019 10:34:14 AM

There are 15 years of filters posted in the forums. Search for something you are interested in like a specific indicator, style of trading, etc. The possibilities are endless.

davesaint86
725 posts
msg #147315
Ignore davesaint86
modified
4/11/2019 11:24:06 AM

Do you want something easy and steadfast that makes steady money? A buy and hold portfolio of USMV @ 60% BND @ 20% and TIP@20. Try something steadfast first and then work on building/testing strategies on the side. Using this approach, you can at least make some money until you perfect something better.

https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/backtest-portfolio?s=y&timePeriod=4&startYear=1985&firstMonth=1&endYear=2019&lastMonth=12&calendarAligned=true&endDate=04%2F10%2F2019&initialAmount=10000&annualOperation=0&annualAdjustment=0&inflationAdjusted=true&annualPercentage=0.0&frequency=4&rebalanceType=1&absoluteDeviation=5.0&relativeDeviation=25.0&showYield=false&reinvestDividends=true&sameFees=true&symbol1=USMV&allocation1_1=60&symbol2=TIP&allocation2_1=20&symbol3=BND&allocation3_1=20

chi-town
44 posts
msg #147321
Ignore chi-town
4/11/2019 2:55:50 PM

Slow and Sure builds confidence.

chi-town
44 posts
msg #147357
Ignore chi-town
4/13/2019 4:54:10 PM

38 Steps to Becoming a Trader
To continue with the topic of what it takes to be a successful investor, here's a list I found some time ago, which I'm sure most traders/investors can identify with.

1. We accumulate information - buying books, going to seminars and researching.
2. We begin to trade with our 'new' knowledge.
3. We consistently 'donate' and then realize we may need more knowledge or information.
4. We accumulate more information.
5. We switch the markets we are currently following.
6. We go back into the market and trade with our 'updated' knowledge.
7. We get 'beat up' again and begin to lose some of our confidence.

Fear starts setting in.

8. We start to listen to 'outside news' and to other traders.
9. We go back into the market and continue to 'donate'.
10. We switch markets again.
11. We search for more information.
12. We go back into the market and start to see a little progress.
13. We get 'over-confident' and the market humbles us.
14. We start to understand that trading successfully is going to take more time and more knowledge than we anticipated.

Most people will give up at this point, as they realize work is involved.

15. We get serious and start concentrating on learning a 'real' methodology.
16. We trade our methodology with some success, but realize that something is missing.
17. We begin to understand the need for having rules to apply our methodology.
18. We take a sabbatical from trading to develop and research our trading rules.
19. We start trading again, this time with rules and find some success, but over all we still hesitate when it comes time to execute.
20. We add, subtract and modify rules as we see a need to be more proficient with our rules.
21. We feel we are very close to crossing that threshold of successful trading.
22. We start to take responsibility for our trading results as we understand that our success is in us, not the methodology.
23. We continue to trade and become more proficient with our methodology and our rules.
24. As we trade we still have a tendency to violate our rules and our results are still erratic.
25. We know we are close.
26. We go back and research our rules.
27. We build the confidence in our rules and go back into the market and trade.
28. Our trading results are getting better, but we are still hesitating in executing our rules.
29. We now see the importance of following our rules as we see the results of our trades when we don't follow the rules.
30. We begin to see that our lack of success is within us (a lack of discipline in following the rules because of some kind of fear), and we begin to work on knowing ourselves better.
31. We continue to trade and the market teaches us more and more about ourselves.
32. We master our methodology and our trading rules.
33. We begin to consistently make money.
34. We get a little over-confident and the market humbles us.
35. We continue to learn our lessons.
36. We stop thinking and allow our rules to trade for us (trading becomes boring, but successful) and our trading account continues to grow as we increase our contract size.
37. We are making more money than we ever dreamed possible.
38. We go on with our lives and accomplish many of the goals we had always dreamed of.
Posted by CCWriter at 6/05/2007 05:41:00 AM

karennma
8,057 posts
msg #147443
Ignore karennma
4/18/2019 9:35:36 AM

@stephenmcmahon,
IMHO, we both have the same problem at this point, which is ....
Waiting for a buying opportunity.
Personally, I have no interest in buying anything at all time highs.
That dip we had a Xmas '18 was a great opportunity.
Unfortunately, I thought it was gonna be a longer "bear market".
Even the experts were fooled (Acampora, Liz Sonders).
It was just a correction or "glitch" as Prz. Trump put it ..
A big one and a bad one -- scared me to death!

karennma
8,057 posts
msg #147444
Ignore karennma
4/18/2019 9:37:59 AM

BTW, if you want to be conserative and hold something, I think $UNH looks interesting.
It's dropped quite a bit and all the "old people" have it.
There will always be "old people", so, $UNH is just in a "glitch" right now.
JMHO ...

karennma
8,057 posts
msg #147445
Ignore karennma
4/18/2019 9:49:16 AM

Also, watch the $VIX. "10-12" is usually correction territory.

KSK8
561 posts
msg #147446
Ignore KSK8
4/18/2019 11:55:02 AM

karennma,

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · I'm tired of losing money - can someone give me something that works?<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.