StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · A NEW ^VIX TRADING SYSTEM<< 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 ... 49 >>Post Follow-up
kibo
14 posts
msg #133289
Ignore kibo
12/19/2016 1:12:31 PM

@kevin it seems both trades are in deficit now. I guess this systems needs to be enhanced by some intraday algorithm for entry and exits. I am trying to see what can be suited for this...

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #133290
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
12/19/2016 2:37:19 PM

I don't think that an intraday algorithm makes sense, or is even possible at the moment. This system has a high win percentage but like any system will also have periods of drawdown. The key is patience and not overthinking a solution that might not be necessary.

My personal assessment is that any volatility-based trading system needs to include some measure for contango, which over the past five years strongly favors shorting the VIX ETFs. The system works well but the challenge is to find a vehicle that accurately reflects the ^VIX, and right now that is where the contango issue is confounding.

kibo
14 posts
msg #133292
Ignore kibo
12/19/2016 3:20:50 PM

@kevin Thanks for the comment. Have you tested the system against the ETFs to see what would be the difference in outcome? I don't have SS account yet. Perhaps, I can help in that once I get one. Also, contago can be calculated from VXX VXZ ratios. But on the overall, I guess you are right, we shouldn't try to over optimize it if its already working.

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #133302
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
modified
12/19/2016 7:09:48 PM

The challenge to what you were proposing is that SF does not handle intraday data all that well, and SS does not use it at all.

I also think that while the VIX/VXV ratio is useful, the real contango is determined by the prices of the current and next months futures for VIX (F2 - F1), and the four month and seven month futures prices for VXV (F7 - F4). If either of those values are positive, that index is in contango.

There is a great site for this - www.vixcentral.com. I have linked a fully operational version of it here so that folks can see what the current levels of contango are:

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #133303
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
12/19/2016 7:11:05 PM

Two more ^VIX LONG signals triggered this evening. Now at 4 units long, none short.

miketranz
956 posts
msg #133304
Ignore miketranz
12/19/2016 8:02:22 PM

Kevin,I've been following the VIX SYSTEM for the last two weeks and noticed that the long signals are producing very good results if you were long the SPY/QQQ.However,if you're trading TVIX/UVYX on the long side,these instruments have been continually selling off.The win percentages on paper are impressive.Either the system doesn't know Trump just got elected or it just hasn't been working the last few weeks.The only way the vix moves up,in a big way,is when a news shock event hits the markets.Miketranz...

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #133305
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
12/19/2016 8:37:51 PM

@mike - I think the long signals are less correlated with/driven by ^SPX movements then you might think. The ^SPX has definitely moved in a way that no one would have anticipated, especially with the FOMC decision to raise rates last week - and basically the market shrugged it off. Any recent long signal in the ^VIX seems to be ignored by the market, and the current high levels of contango make trading any ETF like VXX or TVIX very challenging.

I am long TVIX right now but not happy about it. In another account I am long XIV so the net has not been too painful.

miketranz
956 posts
msg #133308
Ignore miketranz
12/20/2016 8:53:24 AM

Kevin,XIV looks good.Have you checked out sixfigureinvesting ? Interesting site on VIX trading.Best,Miketranz....

dtatu
143 posts
msg #133323
Ignore dtatu
modified
12/20/2016 1:10:57 PM

Me too, I 'm losing trade after trade for 2 weeks , now.
I start considering taking only the sell signals, as long as the market stays in Contango ( or, maybe ,always?)

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #133325
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
12/20/2016 2:00:02 PM

Contango is something that has a real impact on volatility-based ETFs, and in and of itself may be the only signal one needs to look at. I have a strategy developed that exploits contango with a parallel hedging strategy that I will post in a new thread on Christmas Eve. Was going to set this up as a paid service on Collective2 but am now thinking that it is better to share it with folks here as a small Christmas gift.

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · A NEW ^VIX TRADING SYSTEM<< 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 ... 49 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.