StockFetcher Forums · Stock Picks and Trading · StrataSearch --- Mind Blown!<< 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 >>Post Follow-up
dgkaufman
23 posts
msg #137147
Ignore dgkaufman
7/29/2017 9:14:58 PM

I think I just fell in love with a computer software so there goes my life. Anyways just downloaded Strata and nearly read the entire 400 page manual.

I know a bunch of you are veterans of the software so I wanted to know if there was any tips or things you learned over the years that you wish you could have told yourself day one?

The first thing that jumped out to me was to be careful of curve-fitting.

P.S. It was fun reading post's from years ago when some of you first downloaded the software for the first time.

mahkoh
1,065 posts
msg #137151
Ignore mahkoh
7/30/2017 5:34:33 AM

Stratasearch is being discontinued. http://www.stratasearch.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1334

The good news is you can download the latest version without having to pay the monthly fee. The bad news is there will no longer be support. The user forum has a lot of useful info and code snippets, I'm looking into a way to download the whole thing as it will be taken down in the near future.

There are Stratasearch users here, you could post specific questions on this forum. Although Stratasearch had excellent support the forum there was never very active.

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #137166
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
7/30/2017 4:30:18 PM

This is a real shame - SS is among the best programs I have ever used, and it has paid for itself a thousand times over (no exaggeration). Folks are crazy not to download this as soon as possible, and take a little time to learn how it works. Incredibly powerful way to develop, optimize, and backtest new trading strategies.

I'll help with coding and other stuff if asked, but out of courtesy please at least read the manual and do a few of the practice tutorials first, OK?

Eman93
4,750 posts
msg #137304
Ignore Eman93
8/2/2017 9:12:02 PM

Kevin how big is the program and how do you get the data

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #137305
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
8/2/2017 9:30:20 PM

22.4 Mb - a quick download. The data is downloaded from Google Finance each night. Fully functional and free right now. Crazy not to download it.

Mactheriverrat
3,135 posts
msg #137306
Ignore Mactheriverrat
8/2/2017 11:54:41 PM

Not Mac compatible.

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #137310
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
8/3/2017 7:02:27 AM

So what - go buy a cheap windows computer and use it exclusively for trading. It will more than recoup the investment.

ferndave
65 posts
msg #137311
Ignore ferndave
8/3/2017 8:35:11 AM

StrataSearch will work on a PC emulator on a Mac without too much performance hit. I tried a paid one and ended up using VirtualBox which is free. I do recommend using StrataSearch's schedule function to do daily backups though. A couple of times the emulator crashed and StratsSearch couldn't recover. The first time my latest backup was a few weeks old. Lesson learned.

On a more recent note, is anyone else missing open and low data for 7/31/17? Every day I'm hoping that the data will get fixed when the new numbers are pulled. It's happened a few times in the past, but was fixed the next day. So far it isn't being fixed and gums up the whole thing.

dgkaufman
23 posts
msg #137312
Ignore dgkaufman
8/3/2017 9:15:02 AM

Kevin,

Do you believe this software will stop working or are they simply not providing updates anymore?

ferndave
65 posts
msg #137313
Ignore ferndave
modified
8/3/2017 10:06:15 AM

The developer has stopped supporting it. It is an old program based on old libraries and code. He made mention of developing a new modern version, but no idea if or when that will be done.

The program itself should run fine going into the future. It works with Windows 10, so even if you never updated your OS, it would be good for many more years. The achilles heel is pricing data. When Yahoo changed their policy a couple months ago, he had to reprogram it to grab data from Google. Should Google change that feed, it could be a big problem. That being said, there are other ways to import pricing data into it.

StockFetcher Forums · Stock Picks and Trading · StrataSearch --- Mind Blown!<< 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.