StockFetcher Forums · Stock Picks and Trading · A Newbie's Journey<< 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 48 >>Post Follow-up
pthomas215
1,251 posts
msg #140570
Ignore pthomas215
1/1/2018 4:40:29 PM

Sandjco, first i wanted to say you are not as 'green' as you imply. you use charts, analyze, study--newbies usually say things like "I saw that stock at 5 bucks and now it is 60 bucks". you know, as if the best strategy would have been to buy and hold for the year.

Second, don't get too arrogant after a good hit. Doctors are notorious for this. They incorrectly think business is easy and then they get their asses handed to them. Hopefully you are not in the medical field ha.

Finally, you touched on this. For 2018 secure your strategy in exactly how you want to trade. For example, I am not going to do options regularly in Q1 2018 like i had planned (until I feel more comfortable with them). Im just sticking to Gap trading and Swing Trading with defined entries and exits on both Indexes and stocks, very few ETF's. But that is my comfort level.

sandjco
648 posts
msg #140572
Ignore sandjco
1/1/2018 8:05:56 PM

Thanks for dropping by PT and Mahkoh!

Newbie as in never been kissed? Nope. I've invested in Mutual Funds with "advisors" and for years, have always been told that Technical Analysis was garbage. But for whatever reason, my interest in human psychology never waned....and hence, my curiosity about TA.

Books, reading forums online and finally stumbling into SF kinda wraps up what I know. I understand basic charts and patterns. I have no clue how an RSI is constructed nor can I code anywhere close to the prolific ones here.

Compared to you guys here....I'm like a lost kid in a Candy Supermarket! There is still so much for me to know. Hence, I still consider myself a newbie!

DGAZ and DGLD looks like plays to me; the Newbie in me is being wishy washy with commodity driven ETFs...

pthomas215
1,251 posts
msg #140573
Ignore pthomas215
1/1/2018 8:12:08 PM

I think you have good instincts. in my opinion DUST is ready and DGLD would go in the same direction. this is an RSI filter recently posted by Four but adjusted slightly by me. If RSI is what you are liking.

Fetcher[ sort column 5 descending
low > 10
average volume(30) > 1000000

draw rsi(5) line 30
draw rsi(5) line 50
draw rsi(2) line 1

draw rsi(5) < 11
draw rsi(2) < 11
rsi(5) < rsi(5) 1 days ago
rsi(2) < rsi(2) 1 days ago
DRAW WEEKLY IFT(2,1)
DRAW WEEKLY IFT(2,1) LINE AT .90
DRAW WEEKLY IFT(2,1) LINE AT -.90
daily offset is 3
]

sandjco
648 posts
msg #140575
Ignore sandjco
modified
1/1/2018 9:20:25 PM

thanks PT!

What is "daily offset"...? In this case, you used "3".

RE: RSI
I don't have a preference nor do I have any "go to" indicators. Only reason why this is sticking with me is because I came across TRO's writings here and I figured that it was a good tool to start with.

Unless I am mistaken, I think you shared IFT with me as well. However, I haven't had the chance to play around with that nor do I "get it". Visually, it looks to me that the negative values correlate to the "bottoming" and have to wait for it to thrust past "0".

So, I'm wondering if there was such a thing to capture it via:
weekly or daily IFT(2,1) < -0.90 but the trigger buy would be when IFT(2,1) crossed above 0?

Not sure if I'm making sense....

pthomas215
1,251 posts
msg #140576
Ignore pthomas215
modified
1/1/2018 9:34:58 PM

welcome. The offset just asks the filter to go back a certain number of days. in this case, 3. You can take it out if you like.

If there is one thing that works for me, it is using the charting wealth system to see how a stock looks upon multiple time frames. maybe you want to sign up for their system. it is free.

Sorry, it is late and I missed the last part. I am not an IFT(2,1) expert but I think it can be a tool to indicate upward movement of a stock if you are asking the filter to catch stocks where IFT(2,1) crossed above -.9 within the past 1 days.

shillllihs
5,986 posts
msg #140580
Ignore shillllihs
modified
1/2/2018 1:38:07 AM

A little token for you guys. When price starts fairly distant from ema(18) either above or below, etf will often gravitate towards that line. Wait for about 10% or more.

Fetcher[
show stocks where the close is less than the open and the close is below the EMA(18) and the RSI(14) is decreasing and the MACD(12,26,9) is decreasing and the price is between 4 and 200 etf
]

Ugaz looks pretty ready to short.

sandjco
648 posts
msg #140582
Ignore sandjco
1/2/2018 8:39:23 AM

Thanks PT!

Thanks Shills! I will play with the filter for "sells" or possible "shorts". Happy 2018!

shillllihs
5,986 posts
msg #140589
Ignore shillllihs
1/2/2018 10:54:02 AM

Or buys. This works both ways.

sandjco
648 posts
msg #140592
Ignore sandjco
1/2/2018 11:33:12 AM

RE: works both ways...
That is another part that I need to work on...being able to "see" triggers either ways...

Didn't take DGLD or DGAZ.

Miffed selling XIV and CWEB. Note to self...holiday volumes/signals may not be that great (at least to me!)

sandjco
648 posts
msg #140616
Ignore sandjco
1/3/2018 9:17:05 AM

Back in the saddle XIV using EOD $138.69, TECL at $116.34 and TNA at $72.26.

Trying AMZN at $1189.01

Not the optimal entries but.....

StockFetcher Forums · Stock Picks and Trading · A Newbie's Journey<< 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 48 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.