StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Stop loss sell orders<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up
Mactheriverrat
3,132 posts
msg #154612
Ignore Mactheriverrat
11/12/2020 3:40:27 PM

Just asking what is your "Stop loss sell orders" at for say the end of day price verse tommorrow's trading day? Or even if you use them . I got stopped out today on SUPV which still gave me a profit. So I'm still happy.

graftonian
1,089 posts
msg #154613
Ignore graftonian
11/13/2020 4:37:26 PM

Mac, I use Guppys count back line, which would put the stop on SUPV @ 1.81 (last Fridays low.

Are you aboard the Prosperity?
Graf

Cheese
1,374 posts
msg #154614
Ignore Cheese
modified
11/13/2020 8:41:42 PM

Not an expert on this subject at all, but always a keen learner.

Some traders and websites recommend mental stop loss, not formal stop loss orders
because our brokers and their bots can take advantage of us, even several times a day.

If we still want to use formal stop loss orders, it may be better to
use Stop_Loss_Limit_Order,
not Stop_Loss_Sell_Order

Stop_Loss_Sell_Orders can guarantee execution, but often at a lower price than we had wanted

Stop-limit orders can guarantee a price limit, but the trades may not be executed.

From the Shoulda Woulda Coulda department:
Muddy Wallman's fast stochastic fast %k(14)} could have kept you out of SUPV on Nov 11,
and may be tip toe in again on Nov 13. It might be your Guppys that were still unsure ?

But you didn't lose money and you are still happy, and that's all that counts.

xarlor
561 posts
msg #154615
Ignore xarlor
11/14/2020 9:17:08 AM

I've mentioned it before and it bears repeating. If you're just wanting to catch the current swing, set a stop-limit order for 6 cents below the previous low. Update every day only if the new value is higher than the previous value.

I usually update my stop-limits after market close. In the case of SUPV you would have sold at $1.89 on the same day you were stopped out.

graftonian
1,089 posts
msg #154616
Ignore graftonian
11/14/2020 11:17:28 AM

My 2 cents worth. How about PSAR as a reasonable stoploss?
Graf

nibor100
1,010 posts
msg #154617
Ignore nibor100
11/14/2020 11:23:32 AM

@Cheese,

I'm assuming Mac got in around Nov 2, at ~$1.71 if he used Guppy's for his decision.

Fast stochastics have been around quite a while; is there something about "Muddy Wallman's fast stochastic fast %k(14)" that makes it special, as either an entry or exit criteria for a stock?

Thanks,
Ed S.

ron22
255 posts
msg #154619
Ignore ron22
11/14/2020 12:55:02 PM

Some members and non-members recommend using ATR as a stop loss. I have not tried ATR yet. Has anyone back tested ATR as a stop loss or used it live? If so, was it helpful?
Thanks. Ron

dangreene
229 posts
msg #154621
Ignore dangreene
11/14/2020 2:00:44 PM

The following 10 stocks listed below were singled out because of how they closed on Friday Nov 13, 2020.

No comment at this time regarding these stocks. Will wait to see how they trade in the coming day(s) and what reaction is triggered.

ACER, AYRO, CPSH, CREG, FUV, HYRE, PPSI, SNGX, UAVS, CYCN

Cheese
1,374 posts
msg #154622
Ignore Cheese
11/14/2020 2:30:07 PM

nibor100 11/14/2020 11:23:32 AM
@Cheese,
I'm assuming Mac got in around Nov 2, at ~$1.71 if he used Guppy's for his decision.
Fast stochastics have been around quite a while; is there something about "Muddy Wallman's fast stochastic fast %k(14)" that makes it special, as either an entry or exit criteria for a stock?
Thanks,
Ed S.
=============================================================================

Ed,

I wish I could speak eloquently about "Muddy Wallman's fast stochastic fast %k(14)" or other good
stuff that members like you have generously shared.

Unfortunately, I don't have that competency, and my comments are mainly based on anecdotal
onservations or heuristic extrapolation. I have no backtesting capability or evidence.

So, all I could say is that Muddy Wallman seems to be pretty smart with his %K, "WAIT FOR GREEN"
and "GREEN ON THE SCREEN". Muddy and TRO were some of the big names at sF in very early
years. They seem to well known outside of sF, and sF was a go to place for traders at one time.
TRO seemed to have a few detractors, but Muddy didn't seem to have many.

There was a friendly contest between Muddy and TRO about "Muddy Wallman's fast stochastic fast %k(14) below 10" and "RSI(2) below 1 or 2". Both seem to have a good chance at bottom reversal
especially when used with Muddy's WAIT FOR GREEN; Both seem to be good for many cases
although there is no holy grail. StockHolyGrail's RSI(2) was made more famous by Larry Connors.

Cheese
1,374 posts
msg #154623
Ignore Cheese
11/14/2020 2:41:09 PM

ron22 11/14/2020 12:55:02 PM
Some members and non-members recommend using ATR as a stop loss. I have not tried ATR yet. Has anyone back tested ATR as a stop loss or used it live? If so, was it helpful?
Thanks. Ron
=================================================================================

Ron,

You are right. ATR is widely used and talked about. There are many good posts here at sF and many
good articles outside of sF.. It's getting to the point that ATR is simply accepted as a useful tool by
many traders and reputable trading sites.

A couple of things that stuck in my mind about ATR:
- It is used in Chandelier Exit. risk management, money management, position sizing
- four posted a link to an excellent article about how to use ATR to keep trader psychology
emotionally balanced
http://www.stockfetcher.com/forums2/General-Discussion/Interviews/128817/240

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Stop loss sell orders<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.