StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Does this drawing offer value to anyone<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up
nibor100
1,010 posts
msg #154076
Ignore nibor100
9/20/2020 12:59:43 PM

@graftonian,

I believe CLRI() is just a custom linear regression of whatever other SF indicator is first in the parentheses which in this filter's case are moving averages not RSI.

Hope this helps,

Ed S.

nibor100
1,010 posts
msg #154077
Ignore nibor100
9/20/2020 1:05:12 PM

@xarlor,

Did you mean for your trigger to count both long and short crossovers in the results?

Also, you probably don't need the zerobar plottype commands for your long and short displays.

Thanks,
Ed S.

graftonian
1,089 posts
msg #154079
Ignore graftonian
9/20/2020 1:58:49 PM

@Ed S, I see what it is, however, intuitively (for me) taking the RSI of an indicator adds a lag to the filter. While messing with this, I find the LRI(10) is very close to the Hull MA's that I manually code.
A question for you: Some time ago you posted a method for referencing back to an event. Do you recall that post?
an example:
set{event, days(xyz, 30)}
draw close event days ago
does this make any sense?
Graf

styliten
278 posts
msg #154081
Ignore styliten
modified
9/20/2020 4:26:58 PM

@ graftonian

Thank you for the encouragement!

You can replace the CLRI with TSF or CMA/CEMA:

Fetcher[dow 30
chart-time is 20 days

and draw ma envelope (13, 0.3)
and draw ma envelope (13, 0.2)
and draw ma envelope (13, 0.1)

set{a1, tsf(ma(3) multiply by 2, 5)}
set{a2, tsf(ma(3) multiply by 3, 5)}
set{a3, tsf(ma(13) multiply by 2, 5)}
set{a4, tsf(ma(13) multiply by 3, 5)}

draw a2 minus a3 on plot price
draw a4 minus a1 on plot price
]

and compare it with cma/cema version:

Fetcher[dow 30
chart-time is 20 days

and draw ma envelope (13, 0.3)
and draw ma envelope (13, 0.2)
and draw ma envelope (13, 0.1)

set{a1, cma(ma(3) multiply by 2, 5)}
set{a2, cma(ma(3) multiply by 3, 5)}
set{a3, cma(ma(13) multiply by 2, 5)}
set{a4, cma(ma(13) multiply by 3, 5)}

]

The only difference is TSF version has sharper twists and turns, but all 4 versions are supposed to tell the same basic story: they basically manifest underlying trend shifts/changes at the EARLIEST possible time (because the differences between MA(3) and MA(13) are now 'magnified' 300~500%; so any hard to perceive/see minor changes are now blown up for examination. If nothing shows up even in the blownup version, then perhaps there is no underlying trend shifts/changes at the time of examination.)

Because these lines are also symmetrical (not perfect, but close enough) about MA(13), they had the added benefit that they WILL cross each other and MA(13) (the median line/golden mean between them) from TIME to TIME. These crossovers are 'man-made' subway stations for people to get on and off. Of course, once you are familiar and comfortable enough about these lines and their behaviors, feel free to jump on and off 1, 2 or 3 steps earlier than the marked out stations to optimize profits.

I don't have a name should this become a new indicator in its own right. To me, it basically is a "trend trapper (about some other mean or moving average [ma(13) in this case]". In general, it is similar to Bollinger Band/Keltner Channels/Donchian Channels/Acceleration Bands, but I got frustrated because these later groups still don't have actionable timing signals CONSISTENTLY and I have better and more reliable results from reading the clues embedded in the "trappers" I created.

nibor100
1,010 posts
msg #154082
Ignore nibor100
9/20/2020 10:38:18 PM

@Graf,

I don't remember the specific post, does the filter below have what you are looking for, the VarOffset function?

By the way, when we drag the SF chart displays 1 day at a time to the right, we can see the values for each indicator shown on the right axis for that prior day.

Ed S.

Fetcher[
set{var_ago, days(high reached a new 20 day high,10)} add column var_ago
close is above 15 close < 30
add column VarOffset(close,var_ago)
draw price line at VarOffset(low,var_ago)}
var_ago > -1
add column VarOffset(rsi(2),var_ago)
draw rsi(2)
]

nibor100
1,010 posts
msg #154104
Ignore nibor100
9/21/2020 4:49:17 PM

@styliten

I used your suggested symlist(AVEO, FLDM, RVP, SRGA, VXRT, EVFM, SONO, GNUS, TOPS) on your modified 1st filter to see if I could understand how to use it with size and shape being the only criteria that matter and in the 20 day period that your filter uses I did not have much success figuring it out.

a. I also checked for when your lines most recently crossed vs when the Close price crossed above the your 3 moving avg lines and found:

2 stocks had cross 1 day before close crossed
2 stocks had cross same day as close cross
2 stocks had cross 2 days after close cross
2 stocks had cross 1 day after close cross
and 1 stock had no cross in the 20 day period

b. I then checked for how many days before the lines crossed that the line crossing upward had continued moving upward after its latest bottoming point, considering that might be an early entry point.

2 stocks 5 days before lines crossed
1 stock 4 days before
1 stock 3 days before
2 stocks 2 days before
2 stocks 1 day before
and still 1 stock with no cross :)

c. Please clue me in if I am overlooking something obvious method for intrepreting those lines.

Thanks,
Ed S.

styliten
278 posts
msg #154110
Ignore styliten
modified
9/22/2020 11:44:51 AM

@ Ed,

Well, if you only draw ma(3) and ma(13) to any ticker, would these 2 lines, together with the candlesticks on the main price plot offer any clues on direction at all?

Now in addition to MA(3) and MA(13), I added a symmetrical line about MA(13) so that this new SL line could join MA(3) and form some kind of loop around MA(13). The loop could come in various sizes and shapes. Does this loop offer more visual clues than the original "half" loop between MA(3) and MA(13)?

Realizing that MA(3) itself may be too close to the candlesticks and thus often interfere with clue gathering, I decided to replicate this MA(3) loop, through extrapolation, a bit further away from the candlesticks to form a somewhat bigger loop. This bigger loop would still preserve much of the shape of the inner MA(3) loop ( shown below in the sample code). It's no different than circulating beltways around larger cities: I-2XX vs I-4xx vs I-6XX vs I-8XX, except in this case the bigger loop closely mimic the very shape of the MA(3) loop in the city core. And just like traveling through these major intersections, extra care and attention is needed as breakouts or fallouts tend to happen at a much greater rate right around the exits/entrances when loops cross over/below MA(13).

Here is the comparison between inner MA(3) loop vs outer Loop:

Fetcher[dow 30

chart-time is 20 days

draw ma envelope (13, 0.1)
draw ma envelope (13, 0.15)
draw ma envelope (13, 0.2)

draw ma(3)

draw cema(ma(13) multiply by 2, 1) minus ma(3) on plot price

set{a1, tsf(ma(3) multiply by 2, 5)}
set{a2, tsf(ma(3) multiply by 3, 5)}
set{a3, tsf(ma(13) multiply by 2, 5)}
set{a4, tsf(ma(13) multiply by 3, 5)}

]

The MA(13) envelope is city's Broadway (the city itself is infinitely long, but evolves around its Broadway). Loops are created so that travelers can easily visualize & ANTICIPATE possible exit and entrance points along the Broadway. This way, infinite cities are dissected into manageable segments and each segment can be glanced over quickly for potential trading opportunities.

nibor100
1,010 posts
msg #154117
Ignore nibor100
9/23/2020 10:52:29 AM

@styliten,

Thanks for taking the time to give me a thorough reply!

1.The answer to your first question for me, is Yes as I use the following visually:

a. Where the 3 period moving avg is related to the 13 period moving avg.
b. The direction each moving avg is moving and has moved in the past, I usually look at 3months, 6months, 1yr and 2yr charts on SF if a particular stock piques my interest.
c. Where the candlesticks are in relating to the 3 period moving avg.

d.but I do my main selecting of stocks using SF filters to find stocks where the 3 is above the 13, price is above the 3, the 3 has been rising etc. so I don't have to look at many charts at all..

2. The answer to your 2nd question is Yes to some degree as it seems to focus the eyes immediately on crossover points; but I generally don't have a problem spotting them on a regular chart.

a. I do wonder why you use a period of 5 for all of your loop line calculations whether you are using CLRI, TSF or CMA.

Is it because it visually looks better or some other reason? Perhaps its because 8 is halfway between 3 and 13 by a count of 5 in either direction?

Ed S.

styliten
278 posts
msg #154128
Ignore styliten
modified
9/25/2020 1:25:06 PM

@ Ed,

I picked 5 for illustration purposes, 8 may be just as good.

Also, here is some sample code based on Bollinger Band. Could you give me some feedback?

Fetcher[Dow 30

Chart-time is 20 days

and draw ma envelope (5, 0.10)
and draw ma envelope (5, 0.15)
and draw ma envelope (5, 0.20)
and draw ma envelope (5, 0.25)

and draw clri(upper Bollinger Band(5, 1.80), 5) on plot price
and draw clri(upper Bollinger Band(5, 1.85), 5) on plot price
and draw clri(upper Bollinger Band(5, 1.90), 5) on plot price
and draw clri(upper Bollinger Band(5, 1.95), 5) on plot price
and draw clri(upper Bollinger Band(5, 2.00), 5) on plot price
and draw clri(upper Bollinger Band(5, 2.05), 5) on plot price
and draw clri(upper Bollinger Band(5, 2.10), 5) on plot price
and draw clri(upper Bollinger Band(5, 2.15), 5) on plot price
and draw clri(upper Bollinger Band(5, 2.20), 5) on plot price
and draw clri(upper Bollinger Band(5, 2.25), 5) on plot price
and draw clri(upper Bollinger Band(5, 2.30), 5) on plot price

and draw clri(lower Bollinger Band(5, 1.80), 5) on plot price
and draw clri(lower Bollinger Band(5, 1.85), 5) on plot price
and draw clri(lower Bollinger Band(5, 1.90), 5) on plot price
and draw clri(lower Bollinger Band(5, 1.95), 5) on plot price
and draw clri(lower Bollinger Band(5, 2.00), 5) on plot price
and draw clri(lower Bollinger Band(5, 2.05), 5) on plot price
and draw clri(lower Bollinger Band(5, 2.10), 5) on plot price
and draw clri(lower Bollinger Band(5, 2.15), 5) on plot price
and draw clri(lower Bollinger Band(5, 2.20), 5) on plot price
and draw clri(lower Bollinger Band(5, 2.25), 5) on plot price
and draw clri(lower Bollinger Band(5, 2.30), 5) on plot price

and draw price line at Upper Bollinger Band(20, 1.4)
and draw price line at Upper Bollinger Band(20, 1.5)
and draw price line at Upper Bollinger Band(20, 3.0)
and draw price line at Upper Bollinger Band(20, 3.1)
and draw price line at Median Bollinger Band(20, 1.0)
and draw price line at Median Bollinger Band(20, 1.0) multiply by 0.995
and draw price line at Median Bollinger Band(20, 1.0) multiply by 0.996
and draw price line at Median Bollinger Band(20, 1.0) multiply by 0.997
and draw price line at Median Bollinger Band(20, 1.0) multiply by 0.998
and draw price line at Median Bollinger Band(20, 1.0) multiply by 0.999
and draw price line at Median Bollinger Band(20, 1.0) multiply by 1.001
and draw price line at Median Bollinger Band(20, 1.0) multiply by 1.002
and draw price line at Median Bollinger Band(20, 1.0) multiply by 1.003
and draw price line at Median Bollinger Band(20, 1.0) multiply by 1.004
and draw price line at Median Bollinger Band(20, 1.0) multiply by 1.005
and draw price line at Lower Bollinger Band(20, 1.4)
and draw price line at Lower Bollinger Band(20, 1.5)
and draw price line at Lower Bollinger Band(20, 3.0)
and draw price line at Lower Bollinger Band(20, 3.1)
]

nibor100
1,010 posts
msg #154171
Ignore nibor100
10/4/2020 6:53:26 PM

@styliten,

I like this bollinger band filter you posted, haven't quite figured out how to best use it but am intrigued by using a 5 period bollinger band as it seems to show viable brief swing trades based on its more frequent volatility squeezes since it's based on 5 periods.

a. When I compare your clri version with a normal 5 period bollinger band they differ in minor ways as to how much price activity they encapsulate but are very similar, I was using a two 3 month charts to compare them side by side.

b. I also accidentally discovered that if I draw multiple bollinger bands such as:
draw Bollinger Band(20),2.01)
draw Bollinger Band(20),2.02)
draw Bollinger Band(20),2.03)
etc

They so closely overlay each other that you can essentially pick what color you want your final bollinger display to end up in, might work with lines too..

Thanks,
Ed S.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Does this drawing offer value to anyone<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.