StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · BEHOLD THE HOLY GRAIL<< 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14 >>Post Follow-up
KSK8
561 posts
msg #145853
Ignore KSK8
1/4/2019 3:38:25 AM

mahkoh,

I appreciate the backtest you conducted even though I am not a fan of the stats displayed. But I wanted to verify for myself, so earlier today I downloaded Stratasearch and after 30 minutes of speedreading through the manual, I conducted a backtest using the same parameters as you posted combined with some of my personal preferences. And after running it I must say these statistics seem flawed. And I am not just saying that just to say it. For instance if you examine some of the stocks it gave in the backtest results such as the one you listed Nibor, "CNET", you can clearly see it does not match the criteria when checked. On top of that, some of the results of some days do not coincide with stockfetcher's candidates. Why is this? Plus I can not filter out otc stocks without having to manually select them out.
--
I'd say the isolation of otc stocks with this filter is a pretty crucial criteria. If you were to facilitate otc's in this strategy, you'd run into so many short squeezes it'll make you despise the purpose of the filter. A 400%'er appeared earlier in this year hence why I have "market is not otcbb".
--

All that aside, I am utterly astonished with some of Stratasearch's features. How is this not popular?

Lapre506
48 posts
msg #145854
Ignore Lapre506
1/4/2019 7:56:38 AM

Not that I have much to add to the conversation here... because people much smarter then me are debating. But one thing I've noticed with Stockfetcher from all my manual backtesting when you are using not otcbb in the filter code. If a stock was once on a major exchange and then got downgraded to OTCBB it will no longer show up in the historical results on that filter when looking back. This tends to sway backtesting results in a favorable manor. Because had you taken a play on a result for the filter and it crashed and became OTCBB you'd have taken a major loss. But when looking back because it's now OTCBB it no longer shows up in the history of the filter.

mahkoh
1,065 posts
msg #145855
Ignore mahkoh
1/4/2019 8:13:38 AM

@Nibor:
The signal date is the date SS labels as the date when the trade is opened. ref(open,1) in the order type means the trade is executed at the next open.

CNET turns out to be a data error. As you can see in the linked file it misses data from 1/4/18 to 1/9/18. Without these days the 1/11/18 spike probably led to a rsi(2) value of 99 thus triggering the trade.
https://imghostr.com/mcadZNcq
Stratasearch has settings on when to exclude a stock due to missing days, the default is 10.

Stratasearch uses yahoo eod data as a source but changed things to their website which prevents a smooth download. I have another instance with a 2500 stock database that is running fine, but 6000+ with a lot of obscure companies that may not even be listed anymore is a problem. Usually my download crashes at the letter "M" due to excessive connection failures, so there will be few trades for tickers beyond that. Here is a list for the trades going back to February 2018. Remember that only one stock is selected alphabetically and I use rsi(2) above 99. And I accidentally coded volume > 1mln instead of price*volume>1mln
https://imghostr.com/hgP2zaNd

mahkoh
1,065 posts
msg #145856
Ignore mahkoh
1/4/2019 8:39:45 AM

KSK8,

I think you may learn to appreciate Stratasearch as a very powerful piece of software, but it all comes down to reliable data.

Fetcher[
market is not OTCBB
market is not ETF
close > 0.1
close < 10
]

returns about 2000 stocks, but for proper backtesting you also need data for stocks that were below 10 in the past. Stratasearch has an option to download historical data in csv format, obtaining data may cost something but could be worth it.

But all in all, I think your system has merit. You may have to stomach a few 50+% drawdowns every once in a while, but it only took 3 years to become a millionaire with a starting capital of 50000.

nibor100
1,010 posts
msg #145859
Ignore nibor100
1/4/2019 11:34:55 AM

@ksk8,

To get a feel for why Stratasearch is not super popular read thru this SF thread under Filter Exchange:

MY XIV TRADING SYSTEM USING STRATASEARCH FILTERS

You'll notice that many have troubles with getting data into SS, and many don't read what I consider one of the better user manuals for stock sw there is.

Plus there are occasional SS anomalies, several of us running same scans but getting different results

Perhaps because its no longer supported, so hard to get questions answered.

The price seems ideal being Free.

Ed S.

KSK8
561 posts
msg #145866
Ignore KSK8
1/4/2019 4:09:41 PM

So on that basis, isn't it an enticement to optimize this system to eliminate such brutal drawndown?

If optimization isn't deemed necessary then here's two other things that can be done to improve the odds of winning 95% of the time;

I didn't mention these because it only decreases the # of candidates. (which everyone seems to have a problem with for some reason)

1. Don't play it unless premarkets fails to hold the morning spike. This requires looking at the intraday chart. I did not include it in the criteria because I doubt there are any ways to mechanically backtest using premarket or afterhours data.

2. The high must be sitting right under heavy resistance. However there isn't a universal criteria of what "heavy resistance" is coherently defined as. And I am not an expert of how to implement S/R in stockfetcher code.

This guy explains both these concepts here;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSQAbJ6PGZU

--

Thus, what stockfetcher criteria out there can be utilized as a heavy resistance component?

I'd love for this to be 95% enabled for stockfetcher rather than having to employ other tools outside of stockfetcher to generate that statistic.

mahkoh
1,065 posts
msg #145870
Ignore mahkoh
1/5/2019 8:42:23 AM

What do you exactly mean with "premarket fails to hold the morning spike?

SAFeTRADE
630 posts
msg #145872
Ignore SAFeTRADE
1/5/2019 9:36:10 AM

My take on Support and Resistance filter.

Fetcher[
set{x1, max(high 5 day high,high 10 day high)}
set{x2, min(high 5 day high,high 10 day high)}
set{x, x1 - x2}
add column x{resistance}

set{y1, max(low 5 day low,low 10 day low)}

set{y2, min(low 5 day low,low 10 day low)}
set{y, y1 - y2}
add column y{support}
add column rsi(2)
add column Fast Stochastics Fast %K(8,3)
add column separator

draw high 5 day high
draw high 10 day high

draw low 5 day low
draw low 10 day low

add column high 5 day high{green_1wkhi}
add column high 10 day high{purple_2wkhi}
add column low 5 day low{gold_1wklo}
add column low 10 day low{blue_2wklo}
add column
draw rsi(2)
draw Fast Stochastics Fast %K(8,3)

dow 30
]

Edit to your LIKING.

SAFeTRADE
630 posts
msg #145873
Ignore SAFeTRADE
1/5/2019 10:26:42 AM

Added a few Bells no whistles yet.

Fetcher[
set{x1, max(high 5 day high,high 10 day high)}
set{x2, min(high 5 day high,high 10 day high)}
set{x, x1 - x2}
add column x{resistance}

set{y1, max(low 5 day low,low 10 day low)}

set{y2, min(low 5 day low,low 10 day low)}
set{y, y1 - y2}

set{5r%, high 5 day high / close}
set{10r%, high 10 day high / close}

set{5s%, close / low 5 day low}
set{10s%, close / low 10 day low}
add column y{support}
add column rsi(2)
add column Fast Stochastics Fast %K(8,3)
add column separator

draw high 5 day high
draw high 10 day high

draw low 5 day low
draw low 10 day low

add column high 5 day high{green_1wkhi}
add column high 10 day high{purple_2wkhi}
add column low 5 day low{gold_1wklo}
add column low 10 day low{blue_2wklo}
add column separator
add column 5r%
add column 10r%
add column separator
add column 5s%
add column 10s%
draw rsi(2)
draw Fast Stochastics Fast %K(8,3)

dow 30
]

KSK8
561 posts
msg #145875
Ignore KSK8
1/5/2019 11:44:22 AM

mahkoh,

Morning spike - larger upwards move in premarket establishing a higher high.

Fails to hold - it cascades back down

Why its important- When premarket fails to hold the morning spike that indicates selling pressure which may trigger panic selling enabling even more selling pressure.

Too bad SF doesn't allow intraday & extended hours data though..

----------------

SAFeTRADE,

Thanks for posting that!

Do you happen to know of any specific filters on this forum that utilize critical S/R levels or anything related to the concept of the volume profile? That'd be terrific if only SF could plot the sideways histogram of that specific indicator...

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · BEHOLD THE HOLY GRAIL<< 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.