StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · MY XIV TRADING SYSTEM USING STRATASEARCH FILTERS<< 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 40 >>Post Follow-up
davesaint86
725 posts
msg #139660
Ignore davesaint86
11/30/2017 1:30:51 PM

What fields from the the from to box to you bring over if any?

davesaint86
725 posts
msg #139661
Ignore davesaint86
11/30/2017 1:32:49 PM

Ok so we might be able to pull price info from a number of feeds. What if SS no longer works with newer versions of windows (maybe 5 years out)? I know I'm projecting risk and thinking of the worse case scenario.

ferndave
65 posts
msg #139663
Ignore ferndave
11/30/2017 1:48:31 PM

dave: it depends, each source may be a little different. Where you're getting the csv from?

As for longevity, if you're having years of success using SS, getting a laptop or old desktop that runs an old version of Windows shouldn't be a problem. The author of SS has tentative ideas on rewriting SS from the ground up. Not a sure thing, but a possibility.

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #139664
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
11/30/2017 1:49:33 PM

In the standard Yahoo historical data download (as a .csv) all you need to do is to delete the "adjusted close" column and save it as the ticker name. Then go into SS (File -> Import Prices ...) and select ACSII

The correct file import format is as follows:

Directory - wherever you put the .csv file
Delimiter is "comma"
Symbol - "from Filename"
Product - "Stocks"
Bypass Header - Yes

Record layout (make sure these are in the same order as I list them here:

Date MDY
Open Price
High Price
Low Price
Close Price
Volume

davesaint86
725 posts
msg #139665
Ignore davesaint86
11/30/2017 1:53:44 PM

Thanks Kevin - I see why it did not work. My workaround - I copied the symbol data from the .csv and saved it to my hard drive. I just left xiv as the symbol. I then ran the Yahoo Import. It took about 20 seconds for the import to complete.

nibor100
1,010 posts
msg #139668
Ignore nibor100
11/30/2017 3:07:52 PM

@davesaint86,

Some tips based on my dealings with SS ASCII imports, I've imported successfully from 2 different sources resulting in learning the following:

a. Name the file you are importing with Yahoo prices as XIV
b. Save that file in its own folder in a Directory of your choice making sure its the only file in that folder.
c. Keep the file as an Excel CSV file with the rows of data in the same order that you got it from Yahoo
d. Delete the column entitled "Adj Close"
e. Delete the header row/first row of the file
f. the first row of data should be dated 11/30/2010

In SS, in the box that opens when you choose File, Import Prices

1. Make sure Multiply Volume by box is empty
2.For the Directory white box select Browse and go to the directory path your file is in
3. In the Symbol grey box choose From Filename
4. The Delimiter box should read Comma
5. In the record layout box have your fields in the following order:
Date MDY
Open Price
High Price
Low Price
Close Price
Volume

These tips are based on loading only XIV data Yahoo only as I have not tried any multiple symbol loads using the ASCII method in SS.

Future XIV data import tip:
I just open the XIV.csv file in Excel and enter the new day(s) data at the bottom and re-save it and close it in Excel before doing the next import.

Let me know if that works for you,
Ed S.

davesaint86
725 posts
msg #139669
Ignore davesaint86
11/30/2017 3:27:33 PM

Thank you for the instructions!

nibor100
1,010 posts
msg #139670
Ignore nibor100
11/30/2017 3:37:09 PM

@davesaint86,

I'm in your camp as far as having an SS backup plan,

This is my plan,

Using the SS backtest data, assess the frequency of all 30 filters and their individual success rate to give an idea as to which ones should be coded first in SF.

See how many of these filters we can code in SF as a group effort, I should be able to do some, but the more challenging ones may require those more expert.

If there are any left that can't be coded in SF, hopefully a small number, create different XIV multisystems and run backtests to see if any are acceptable.

According to the SS manual :

"For those that wish to examine the actual numbers, the Calculations window allows you to
produce the daily calculations for any technical analysis formula in StrataSearch. You can
then use these numbers for examination, verification, or to export into another program.
The formulas in StrataSearch have been produced with the help of the book titled Technical
Analysis From A to Z, by Steven B. Achelis. A companion spreadsheet for this book can also
be purchased, which provides formula details in an Excel spreadsheet. All StrataSearch
formulas taken from the book have been verified against the companion spreadsheet."

That spreadsheet is available for separate purchase online.

Ed S.

lavapit315
47 posts
msg #139671
Ignore lavapit315
11/30/2017 4:15:17 PM

I keep getting errors trying to import data with yahoo also. Is there a way to download all stocks in one file and then be able to import it using ASCII import? I found one place but all the file names are "amd.us.csv" so it won't import properly. Thanks for any assistance.

davesaint86
725 posts
msg #139672
Ignore davesaint86
11/30/2017 4:17:54 PM

I ran a test in Portfolio Visualizer of XIV. Below are the average buy & hold gain/losses per month for XIV going back to 2011.

Jan 6.17%
Feb 6.02%
Mar 18.79%
Apr 6.20%
May 5.75%
Jun 0.17%
Jul 11.91%
Aug -12.23%
Sep 0.91%
Oct 7.86%
Nov 7.20%
Dec -3.33%

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · MY XIV TRADING SYSTEM USING STRATASEARCH FILTERS<< 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 40 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.