StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · DEADLY COMBO<< 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 21 >>Post Follow-up
13th_floor
724 posts
msg #62624
Ignore 13th_floor
5/14/2008 11:20:22 PM

lizzy,

"2 scans I run every night are gained 8% in the last day and 15% in the last 2 days."

This question brings up a VERY important point that I was taught but would never have thought of myself.
First off I don't have any vol criteria written in the filter but usually cutoff todays vol at 125k to 200k depending how far its run and the ADR is on the 125k to 200k's.

But here's the "secret" I was taught.
NEVER USE ANY AVERAGE DAILY VOLUME IN THESE FILTERS!

Why? Because quite a few stocks that hit these filters are the hot stocks NOW and are in play.
10 to 30 to 90 days ago these stocks could have traded actually ZERO vol on some days,hardly any on alot of days.
Any Average vol criteria will throw these stocks right off these filters.
You can miss out on some of the best plays ever on the "hot" stocks that are going on right NOW.

Ex. look at VRML chart.
I shorted this at $5 on 5/6 off the gained 15% gain in 2 days filter.
The vol the day before was 247k so it was picked up by me on the filter
At that point it's 90 day ave vol was less then 25,000.
I would never seen it with an ave daily vol criteria built in.
Their are quite a few like this every month that I catch because of no ave daily vol criteria.

lizzydog
32 posts
msg #62625
Ignore lizzydog
5/14/2008 11:43:28 PM

13th_floor----When the filters are run a volume shows up, do you sort from high to low or low to high? I hope I am asking the right question.

thanks
lizzydof

lizzydog
32 posts
msg #62626
Ignore lizzydog
5/14/2008 11:45:16 PM

13th-floor----Could you post these filters to be sure i am using the correct ones

thanks

lizzydog

13th_floor
724 posts
msg #62628
Ignore 13th_floor
5/15/2008 8:05:40 AM

"13th_floor----When the filters are run a volume shows up, do you sort from high to low or low to high? "

Sorted from highest to lowest vol

Fetcher[show stocks where close gained more than 8 percent over the last one day and price is between 1 and 20 and date offset is 0
average day range is above 3
]

Fetcher[show stocks where close gained more than 15 percent over the last 2 day and price is between 1 and 20 and date offset is 0
]

About as simple as it gets but works for me.
Sometimes I will tweak the price down from 20 to get 40 matches if there are more than 40.
Likewise if there are less than 40 I will tweak like this on the 15% filter:

Fetcher[show stocks where close gained between 14 and 15 percent over the last 2 day and price is between 1 and 20 and date offset is 0
]

If I still need a couple to fill 40 I go under a buck and use only ones that traded at least 500,000 shares:

Fetcher[show stocks where close gained more than 15 percent over the last one day and price is between .1 and 1 and date offset is 0
]

13th_floor
724 posts
msg #62643
Ignore 13th_floor
5/15/2008 1:10:05 PM

SSBX looks to be setting up for a nice short one day this week,wait for red"
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

MESA closed at .641
Got my red on SSBX just after noon as it gapped and crapped going from 4.20 yesterday all the way up to 4.89 this morn before tanking bad down to red 4.19
Taking my chances and holding SSBX hoping for a "MESA" type longer term short swing.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

SSBX turning out to be a great short
Down 16% at 3.25.....like shooting fish in a barrell once these pumped high flyers start to fall

SFMc01
358 posts
msg #62661
Ignore SFMc01
5/15/2008 5:17:12 PM

13th_floor: Thank you for a very interesting thread. Looks great and quite creative on your part.

Have you developed any guidelines for when you get out of a position soon after it turns negative? For example. You buy long soon after the open in a stock that opens a few cents over the close of yesterday and even climbs a little bit ... maybe 1/4th of 1%. Then, it quickly turns down and crosses below the close of yesterday.

Do you have any guidelines you consider for when you get out or ride it awhile? Thanks.

Steve

13th_floor
724 posts
msg #62664
Ignore 13th_floor
modified
5/15/2008 6:01:39 PM

Steve,

I usually put a mental stop loss at 3% but on the real volatile ones I will use a stop
of 1/2 the ADR(30).
No guidelines really,I try to always obey my mental stops and will not ever sell if the stock is at or near its hod's no matter how far it runs.

I think I saw on a thread you had your email but I can't find it.
If you'd like to get in touch with me I'm at
the.top.floor @gmail.com

lizzydog
32 posts
msg #62671
Ignore lizzydog
5/15/2008 9:21:02 PM

13th_floor Give us the skinny on pdo today. What made you watch this stock?

13th_floor
724 posts
msg #62672
Ignore 13th_floor
5/15/2008 10:12:15 PM

lizzy,

I always kept a list from the day before,which today would have been Tues list

Fetcher[show stocks where close gained more than 15 percent over the last 2 day and price is between 1 and 20 and date offset is 5/13/08
]

PDO was on that list.
I constantly either watch the HOD list ( where I saw it approaching even dollar mark $10 ) or am flipping quick through my watchlists.
If you saw my post about low floaters( which can easily get "short squeezed",the only blog I read pointed that out as a great possibility ) you'll see the outstanding shares are an incredibly low 3,741so as the price runs up very many short in it buy to cover,pushing the price even higher.

You run these filters long enough the symbols just start to burn into your brain.
That's why I don't hardly ever bother with TA and never Fundies.
Price and volume ( and knowing if a stock is being pumped for pay helps a bunch too ).

Learn the stocks that can MOVE

13th

13th_floor
724 posts
msg #62674
Ignore 13th_floor
5/15/2008 10:21:01 PM

lizzy,

Find the low float stocks with this:

Fetcher[Show stocks where shares outstanding is below 20
and close is between 1 and 15
and average volume(90) is above 70000
set{diff,close minus close 65 days ago}
set{diff%,diff / close 65 days ago}
set{change%,diff% * 100}
volume is above 50000
offset is 0
]

Ironically 2 of my huge gains today PDO and KUN are the 3rd and 4th stocks on this filter

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · DEADLY COMBO<< 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 21 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.