Kevin_in_GA 4,599 posts msg #134142 - Remove message |
2/9/2017 9:28:17 AM
If I'm understanding your method, June 23 2016 would have you long Xiv since it went over 5, but on June 24-27 you would have entered or stayed out of market until it went above 5 again. You would have taken a 33% hit.
You're ok with that?
If you read what I wrote, I also look for a second confirmatory signal, specifically that the front month (F2/F1) contango be above the midterm (F7/F4) contango - you can see on vixcentral.com that this does not occur until 6/30. So I would have been out at the close on 6/10 (XIV price at $29.59) and not re-entered until the close on 6/30 (XIV price at $25.94).
|
pthomas215 1,251 posts msg #134148 - Remove message |
2/9/2017 10:02:41 AM
shillihs, in my study on gold, it appears GLD will resist at 120. im gonna wait to double down on jdst. however you have more patience than I !!
|
kibo 14 posts msg #134158 - Remove message |
2/9/2017 10:37:23 AM
@Kevin just wanted to thank you, as you are doing exceptionally well on your short thread you have. I have been following your pattern. I happen to use a filter with very similar output as yours but was afraid to trade and when I see your postings, I get confidence. This last one shorting NUGT was tough I got signal few days ago and waited to short higher.
|
shillllihs 6,102 posts msg #134161 - Remove message |
2/9/2017 11:33:14 AM
I have more patience than you? What a joke. When it comes to life and other investments I'm very cautious, but I have little patience in the market.
|
shillllihs 6,102 posts msg #134171 - Remove message |
2/9/2017 2:26:24 PM
Pt, look at every time Xiv was at top bollinger with top Acc. BAND, it bounced back down to the mid line.
There is a touch in late Dec. that hasn't reverted yet. Not saying it will but that's enough to keep me off of Xiv. it could go to 46... But nothing is certain. If you have the ballz, you can either SHORT Xiv or go long Tvix Vxx.
|
Mactheriverrat 3,178 posts msg #134175 - Remove message |
2/9/2017 2:59:20 PM
That XIV is a very giving chart indeed!!!

|
shillllihs 6,102 posts msg #134193 - Remove message |
2/10/2017 9:35:17 AM
I'm not greedy.
Direxion Daily Jr Gld Mnrs Bear 3X ETF (JDST)
14.21+0.62 (+4.56%)
As of 9:31AM EST.
|
T_Charp13 35 posts msg #134197 - Remove message |
2/10/2017 10:46:44 AM
Wouldn't it be safer to go long JNUG instead of shorting JDST?
|
shillllihs 6,102 posts msg #134198 - Remove message |
2/10/2017 11:12:27 AM
I was long Jdst and made off great.
|
Kevin_in_GA 4,599 posts msg #134199 - Remove message |
2/10/2017 11:22:08 AM
My mirror image of your trade (short NUGT) worked out nicely as well. Now is the time to look at possible short on DUST.
As to the question regarding risk of shorting versus going long the inverse, one should remember that triply-leveraged ETFS like DUST/NUGT or JNUG/JDST suffer from daily resets that drag down performance on both ETFs. Thus, shorting is preferred since you are swimming with the current rather than against it.
|