StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · What I've Learned While Trading<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up
marine2
963 posts
msg #135994
Ignore marine2
5/20/2017 1:06:30 PM

Maybe your code is for a different kind of investing? When the market gives me the "green" light, my method is to bottom fish for valued stocks (meaning I have a watchlist of picks I have found from filtering methods in my brokerage accounts filter section where I look for quality companies. Meaning, ones that are of a particular size, making money, had a dividend, low debt, and p/e is within reason). I put this watchlist in my filter, only using those picks for my specific bottom fishing filter to give me a few companies in which to lay money on. Thus, looking for valued stocks now at a resting point before they begin their move up again. Timing is everything, and don't believe brokers tell you that's nonsense. Lol, only time you might not have to worry about timing is if you are in your early 20's and time is on your side :-). Not the case with me however. My tread is worn but I'm still holding the road just fine. I just have to worry about how much more I can go on this tread of mine. :-)

Eman93
4,750 posts
msg #136012
Ignore Eman93
modified
5/21/2017 8:10:59 PM

I mostly trade etfs. But when the market pulls back I will look to buy the leaders also. The ones you hear in the news, people talking about...ect. The fang trade. I don't use a filter to find those.

gmg733
788 posts
msg #136014
Ignore gmg733
5/21/2017 11:52:12 PM

Kind of what I have here for leaders aka jumbotrons

Fetcher[
symlist(fb,amzn,googl,regn,pcln,tsla,biib)
add column weekly roc(14,1) {14 week performance}
sort on column 5 descending
add column corr(spy,65, close) {correlation to S&P 500}

set {var1,40000/weekly close}
add column var1 {shares}

weekly roc(14,1) is above 0
]

Eman93
4,750 posts
msg #140695
Ignore Eman93
modified
1/6/2018 4:02:43 PM

Fetcher[close > 1
volume > 500000
and compare with DIA
and add column Relative Strength(DIA,200)
Relative Strength(DIA,200) > 1
50 day slope of close > .1

RSI(3) < 10
]

I was listing to a show on allago automated trading this week.
Basically this guy broke down his trades into 2 groups, momentum and mean reversion.
So if you buy an RSI oversold < 10 and sell at < 70 you are trading mean reversion and if you buy on oversold RSI > 70 you are trading momentum. The next thing he did was to screen for stocks that had been a past winner using this criteria, much like TRO's gap trading stats to rank the stocks, he pumps them into his alogo and flips the switch.

Eman93
4,750 posts
msg #140697
Ignore Eman93
1/6/2018 4:49:35 PM

https://chatwithtraders.com/ep-152-kory-hoang/

JoeyVinyl
125 posts
msg #140781
Ignore JoeyVinyl
1/9/2018 9:21:46 PM

I'm a relative newbie to all this but one thing I learned early on was to pay attention to my costs. What I mean is that if I'm buying shares rather than options, I have to make sure I'm able to buy enough to cover *both* the purchase and sales commissions, no matter how small (or large) they may be. If I can only afford, for example, 10 shares of a stock trading at $10 per share, and my commissions are going to total $10, it better go higher than $11 for me to do better than just break even. I'm sure this probably applies to options trading too, but I'm just learning about that so I won't speak to what I don't know yet.

This may seem like a basic lesson to most of you but I haven't seen it in anything I've been reading lately.

pthomas215
1,251 posts
msg #140782
Ignore pthomas215
modified
1/9/2018 10:20:08 PM

Joey, it is a very valid point. especially if you are trading as opposed to investing. If you are looking at your exit after say a 50 cent spread, you best make sure your position sizing is large enough where you had a good entry, good exit and after commissions you did yield enough profit to achieve your profit goal. good post.

While we are on this topic, my biggest mistake when i started was having too large position sizing while getting up the learning curve. I've learned to reduce position sizing to a comfort level.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · What I've Learned While Trading<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.