StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · I trade just one stock, TRO-style<< 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 21 >>Post Follow-up
TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #65296
Ignore TheRumpledOne
7/21/2008 12:41:56 AM

SPF from $3.15 to $3.95 close Friday to Friday.

Trading just one stock....

WALLSTREETGENIUS
983 posts
msg #65312
Ignore WALLSTREETGENIUS
modified
7/21/2008 12:08:30 PM

You're right...Williams(2) increased, while RSI(2) FELL on Friday 7/11/08!

Nice trade Avery....SPF has been lights out for you man....

RIGGS

dforant1
76 posts
msg #65465
Ignore dforant1
7/26/2008 6:29:16 PM

The SPF 15 minute candle method sounds good but I could pull off only 3 trades for 1day and would have to sit aside for 5 days before the next trade because of trading rules. Otherwise post $25000. Presently doing the RSI (2) with some success long and short.

humbletrader
3 posts
msg #65473
Ignore humbletrader
7/26/2008 10:12:48 PM

Please excuse such a simple question from someone trying to learn day trading. I really like the idea of trading one stock but know that if you trade a stock frequently you cannot claim your losing trades for tax purposes ( Wash Rule). How do you trade one stock but avoid the huge taxes.

Thank you for helping new traders.

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #65474
Ignore TheRumpledOne
7/26/2008 10:20:57 PM

humbletrader
- Ignore humbletrader 7/26/2008 10:12:48 PM

Please excuse such a simple question from someone trying to learn day trading. I really like the idea of trading one stock but know that if you trade a stock frequently you cannot claim your losing trades for tax purposes ( Wash Rule). How do you trade one stock but avoid the huge taxes.

Thank you for helping new traders.

=====================================================

That's not the case.

The records of your trade establish a pattern. It would be obvious, even to the densest IRS agent, that your trades were not to avoid or evade taxes but just your normal trading style.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/rr-08-05.pdf

READ IN ENTIRITY.

humbletrader
3 posts
msg #65477
Ignore humbletrader
7/26/2008 11:25:22 PM

Thank you TRO for your info. I have been day trading SPX recently and everytime I take a loss my broker ( Fidelity) reports it as a wash sale. Since I dump my broker records straight into my tax software each year I think I'm losing a lot of money by the wash sale designation. Any way around this?

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #65483
Ignore TheRumpledOne
7/27/2008 1:21:14 AM

Use different tax software or speak with your broker.

Then again, learn to enter and exit with a profit!!

humbletrader
3 posts
msg #65495
Ignore humbletrader
7/27/2008 10:52:46 AM

That's what I'm trying to do by talking to someone of your obvious intellect. :-) lol

dforant1
76 posts
msg #65498
Ignore dforant1
7/27/2008 1:28:13 PM

is average true range same as average daily range. ATR/ADR

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #65499
Ignore TheRumpledOne
modified
7/27/2008 1:45:31 PM

Q. is average true range same as average daily range. ATR/ADR?

A. NO!!!

Average True Range
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Average True Range (ATR) is a technical analysis indicator developed by J. Welles Wilder, based on trading ranges smoothed by an N-day exponential moving average.

The range of a day's trading is simply high − low. The true range extends it to yesterday's closing price if it was outside of today's range:

true range = max(high,closeprev) − min(low,closeprev)

The average true range is then an N-day exponential moving average of the true range values. Wilder recommended a 14-period smoothing. Note this is by his reckoning of EMA periods (see the EMA article on that), meaning an á=1/14.

The idea of ranges is that they show the commitment or enthusiasm of traders. Large or increasing ranges suggest traders prepared to continue to bid up or sell down a stock through the course of the day. Decreasing range suggests waning interest.
======================
From StockFetcher:

Using the relationships between the high and low of a day compared with the previous close, the Average True Range is a measure of volatility developed by Welles Wilder. Typically used to identify oversold and overbought conditions, a low average true range indicates a stock which lacks volatility, while high average true range indicates potentials sell-offs of a stock.

======================
From StockFetcher:

The average day range computes a simple average of the day range over a given number of days. This value is also represented as a percent of the closing price.

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · I trade just one stock, TRO-style<< 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 21 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.