StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Edgerater Backtesting, Graphing and Scanning Program is starting a 4 part video series on its capabilities<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up
Cheese
1,374 posts
msg #155100
Ignore Cheese
12/25/2020 6:28:37 PM

@Ed
Thank you very much for the clarification.

nibor100
1,010 posts
msg #155134
Ignore nibor100
12/28/2020 3:21:57 PM

Edgerater has posted their 2nd free video in their 4 part training series at:

http://academy.edgerater.com/tradetestguide/

That video shows how to write a simple Bollinger Band crossover script in Edgerater , display it on charts, use it in one of their super useful Templates, and to use it for choosing 10 years of Entry signals and then show them on charts.

Video number 3 will show how to do various analysis in Edgerater Pro 2020.

Ed S.

graftonian
1,089 posts
msg #155144
Ignore graftonian
12/30/2020 6:20:52 PM

@Ed S.
I have signed up for the Edgerater 14 day trial and downloaded the program. I don't think 14 days will be enough time for an ol' dog; maybe 14 weeks or months would do the trick.
When Kevin introduced SF to StrataSearch I never really got the hang of it, but I'll try.
Thanks for bringing Edgerater to our attention.
Duane

nibor100
1,010 posts
msg #155153
Ignore nibor100
12/31/2020 10:45:26 AM

@Duane,

I have every confidence you'll be able to grasp Edgerater capabilities quicker than you think.

If you run into any hangups or have questions no matter how simple they might seem just ask me and/or Chris White (sometimes I waste an hour or so trying to figure out something in a program instead of asking a question that might be answered while I'm still looking for a solution on my own).

If you have not discovered it already, the Support page on the main Edgerater site is where you find links to their Forum, their online documentation, their blogs, their videos etc.

Somewhere on their main website opening page is a link to a list of all of their Templates with a fairly good description of what they do.

Chris has made so many useful templates a lot of Edgerater users hardly even write their own scripts any more but I suspect you'll be writing some to emulate your SF scripts so you can then backtest.

Chris even teaches, in a couple of his past videos, how to make your own Template, which turns out to be not hard at all.

There is a guy in their Forum who has probably posted over 100 out of the ordinary technical indicator chart scripts for everyone's use, but generally their forum is almost completely inactive.

By the way, the Edgerater forum is like the SF forum in that you don't have to be a subscriber in order to access and read all posts.

Good luck,
Ed S.

graftonian
1,089 posts
msg #155154
Ignore graftonian
12/31/2020 11:49:16 AM

Ed S., Thanks, and a Happy New Year.
Duane

nibor100
1,010 posts
msg #155189
Ignore nibor100
1/4/2021 10:56:41 PM

Edgerater has posted their 3rd free video in their 4 part training series at:

This video covers their backtesting capabilities, which they call Simulations, in both single mode and batch mode.

One of the features I like in their reports and specialized Simulation report charts is Maximum Adverse Excursion for every trade which potentially shows an effective level for placing stops, and Maximum Favorable Excursion showing the largest gains achieved in each trade.

Ed S.

graftonian
1,089 posts
msg #155192
Ignore graftonian
1/5/2021 1:14:40 PM

Ed S.,
I've been working away on Vid2 and Vid3, This is really slow going.
Duane

nibor100
1,010 posts
msg #155205
Ignore nibor100
1/6/2021 4:11:16 PM

@Duane,

Sorry to hear its going slow.

1. Regarding Video 3, for learning Edgerater and 98% of its capabilities I recommend following it all the way up to minute 8:40 as after that Chris discusses setting up Batch Simulations which is a feature that wasn't even available in Edgerater Pro the first 5 years I used it.

2. You can do most backtesting of one or more symbols by having an entry and exit script, running them on the Entries and Exit tab, and then going to the Simulation tab and setting your parameters for the backtest and running that.

3. As far as script writing, I usually have problems because I would forget to end each line with a semicolon or try and save a script with spaces in the name, etc.

When you have a script window open for editing and you have a chart window also open that has that current version of the script on it, you make changes to your script, then Save it and if it gives you the compile successful message in the bottom left corner your changes will immediately update and appear on the chart, which is a great way to kind of step thru your script changes and additions.

Ed S.

nibor100
1,010 posts
msg #155238
Ignore nibor100
1/9/2021 12:32:14 PM

Edgerater has posted their 4th free video in their 4 part training series at:

This video covers their MonteCarlo Simulations as linked with their Batch backtesting capabilities, which they call Simulations. A seasonal example is shown first.

Make sure your brain is fully turned on for this 33 minute video because Chris covers a lot of new Edgerater capabilities in a very short span of time.

Ed S.

graftonian
1,089 posts
msg #155253
Ignore graftonian
1/11/2021 10:14:22 AM

@Ed S,
Watched Vid4 for an hour last night, great capabilities! The aim today (after the dust settles) is to create a "blank sheet" template, then add 1 indicator to it.
Duane

StockFetcher Forums · General Discussion · Edgerater Backtesting, Graphing and Scanning Program is starting a 4 part video series on its capabilities<< 1 2 3 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.