StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Looking for filter with highest W/L Ratio<< 1 2 3 4 >>Post Follow-up
itrademan
70 posts
msg #48903
Ignore itrademan
1/3/2007 12:14:22 PM

Can anyone let me know the best W/L ratio filters for non OTCBB stocks above 1?

At least 10 stocks per month.

corsino
259 posts
msg #48910
Ignore corsino
1/3/2007 6:00:52 PM

Here's a start:
Fetcher[Close has been decreasing over the last 11 days
and average volume (90)is above 50000
and close is between 1 and 10
]

Holding period : 5 days
Win/loss :68/30 for last 4 month backtest

lockwhiz
206 posts
msg #48913
Ignore lockwhiz
1/3/2007 9:52:59 PM

Corsino...
Nice screen !

I threw in the "non OTCBB"

Fetcher[
Close has been decreasing over the last 11 days
and average volume (90)is above 50000
and close is between 1 and 10
and not otcbb
]

corsino
259 posts
msg #48914
Ignore corsino
1/3/2007 10:38:32 PM

Thanks.
Although eliminating otcbb stocks reduces the number of stocks,widening the price range to "between 1 and 20" adds sufficient stocks to meet the specified criteria, and actually improves the w/l ratio to 71/26 for the last 4 months.

UNITED
81 posts
msg #48915
Ignore UNITED
1/3/2007 11:09:12 PM

Interesting filter.Can you explain just how it works? When do you enter? Thanks..Mike.....

corsino
259 posts
msg #48917
Ignore corsino
1/4/2007 12:40:54 AM

You can enter either when the stock first appears in the scan, or when it first goes green. There are advantages/disadvantages to both ways.

It seems that few stocks decrease more than 13 days in a row,so buying on the 11th day involves some risk. However, since the stock is pretty well sold out by the 11th day, the additional drop should be minimal, and you may be in good position to catch the whole first day reversal.

Buying on the first green day may be safer, but you may miss the first upsurge. So it's probably a tradeoff.Daytraders may have an advantage of buying the instant it goes green and catch most of the gain.So it depends on the type of trader.
Of course, these are only my opinions.

Of course,you can wait for the few stocks that drop 13 days in a row,but there are fewer of them.

corsino
259 posts
msg #48928
Ignore corsino
1/4/2007 2:16:02 PM

UNITED
In retrospect, my previous answer may have been too simplistic because the topic was about filters with good W/L ratios. However, there are a few basic groundrules that may aid results.One is anticipation. For instance,by scanning for 7 down days,among the stocks are PPHM and CEGE.Both seem to be headed for their 8th down day.Looking at their 1 or 2-year charts,CEGE has no support in sight,whereas PPHM is nearing an area of support.In the event of having to choose between the two,all other things being equal,PPHM would be my choice.THe idea is to put as many odds in your favor as possible.

itrademan
70 posts
msg #48932
Ignore itrademan
1/4/2007 5:09:27 PM

corsino,

Thanks for posting such a simple filter with great W/L ratio. I have been making my filters more and more complex and the W/L ratio never seem to improve.

It seems to work nicely for most of the 4 month ranges.

Is there anyone who can test it (the "not otcbb" version) for 2 year periods?

I will definately try using it with the entry/exit details provided by you.

corsino
259 posts
msg #48934
Ignore corsino
1/4/2007 6:33:38 PM

itrademan
You are welcome. Actually, I did not post the filter implying that anybody should use it, although they may try it.Out of curiosity,I was hoping that other filters would be posted following basically the same criteria,along with backtest statistics for comparison.We all know that past performance is not necessarily followed by similar future performance, but none of us has a crystal ball.
I,too, have a stable of filters of varying complexity and regularly run a backtest of them,but I have decided that complexity does not translate into better performance.Mainly they serve to satisfy my curiosity and keep my mind working.

UNITED
81 posts
msg #48937
Ignore UNITED
1/4/2007 10:21:19 PM

Thanks for the info.I've seen two similar setups where you enter after a 20 day low,the next day if price rises above the high of the previous day.The lows do not have to be consecutive.Also a 10 day low on the SPY,hold for one week then sell.I would like to see someone backtest these setups.You might be suprised at the percentages.Thanks,Mike.....

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Looking for filter with highest W/L Ratio<< 1 2 3 4 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.