StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · DUSTING OFF AN OLD WEINSTEIN FILTER<< 1 2 3 4 >>Post Follow-up
Cheese
1,374 posts
msg #153144
Ignore Cheese
7/16/2020 11:59:04 AM

@nibor100

End of Day July 10,2020 for SPY, QQQ, XLE, XLV please
I would like to compare graf's Stage 2 with NextBigTrade and ChartMill
I only have July 10,2020 for ChartMill

Thank you very much, Ed

nibor100
1,010 posts
msg #153153
Ignore nibor100
7/16/2020 1:31:46 PM

@cheese,

1. The first filter you want me to run will require some editing to get results for your 4 stocks as it is designed to pick candidates meeting very limited criteria.

2. The 2nd filter when run on july 10th returns your 4 stocks with QQQ having the highest combined score(column named Sort Number) of 3.86 followed by 2.9 for XLV and 2.56 for SPY and 1.86 for XLE.

In terms of the 5 scoring criteria
every stock except XLE has 1s for 1 and 2
only QQQ has a 1 for 3
only XLE has a 1 for 4
and none of them have a 1 for 5.

Not sure this is what you were expecting to get.
Ed S.

Cheese
1,374 posts
msg #153159
Ignore Cheese
7/16/2020 2:18:40 PM

A BIG THANK YOU for your patience and kindness, Ed

1. Regarding the first filter, please just tell me if you think there is any value
For example, just give me an example of a well known ETF or SP500 or NASDAQ or DJIA
stock in Stage 1, 2, 3, 4

2. Regrding the 2nd filter, if graf's July 21 filter says SPY is in Stage 2 and XLE is n Stage 4,
then the results look in line with other services

AGAIN, THANK YOU SO MUCH, Ed

Cheese
1,374 posts
msg #153168
Ignore Cheese
7/16/2020 9:38:36 PM

@nibor100

Oops,

Without seeing the full charts and results of graf's Jun 24 & Jul 21 filters
I've just remembered that graf's 0,1,2,3,4,5 from the Jun 24 & Jul 21 Weinstein filters
bear no resemblance to Weinstein Stage 1,2,3,4

They may have some correlation, at best

Sorry if I wasted your time.

If you did get any insights from your review, please kindly share.

Thanks again for all the help you give to this thread.
I also want to thank you, graf, Kevin for the STC.

nibor100
1,010 posts
msg #153186
Ignore nibor100
7/17/2020 4:04:48 PM

@Cheese,

a. His 5 filtering conditions from his Another Weinstein filter of Jul 21 are somewhat correlated to the Weinstein 4 stages in that they are true/false triggers for 3 of the 4 signifcant Weinstein Stage defining criteria.

1. Is price above 30week Weighted Moving Average?
2. Is the 30week WMA moving up?
3. Is the Mansfield Relative Strength Line greater than 0?
4. Is the Mansfield Relative Strength Line moving up?
5. Is Volume greater than 150% of normal 50 day average volume?

If all are true then the stock is likely in a strong Stage 2 situation for the stock, if all are false its likely a strong stage 4.

Mixed results could mean in weak Stage 2 or Stage 3, etc.

b. Weinstein also wanted to see the stock breaking out above the past few years trading High price which is not looked for in this filter.

c. The Schaff Trend Cycle is an added indicator that Weinstein didn't seem to use at all but that Graftonian likes.

d. My personal opinion is the Weinstein 4 stage approach is not ideally suited for stock indexes and ETFs since both are collections of individual stocks, that each will be in different Weinstein stage, which might mean the group average doesn't indicate much.

e. In this month's Stocks and Commodities magazine issue another trading rule from Weinstein's book, the Swing Rule, is presented by Tom Bulkowski (the famous chart pattern guy) with backtest statistics.

Hope this helps,
Ed S.

Cheese
1,374 posts
msg #153187
Ignore Cheese
7/17/2020 4:37:00 PM

@nibor100,

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, Ed S
Much appreciated !

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · DUSTING OFF AN OLD WEINSTEIN FILTER<< 1 2 3 4 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.