StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · contrarian trade<< >>Post Follow-up
88 posts
msg #89215
Ignore cabogordon
3/6/2010 6:48:59 PM

This is going to sound like a crazy post. Good traders are only right what 50% of the time. Ok, maybe not M4M ( joke )
but why not create a filter that we trade against. just do the opposite of what we think.

63 posts
msg #89223
Ignore dickysofa
3/6/2010 8:52:29 PM

This is pretty much my cut-n-paste response to this type of question...

It's not what percentage of trades are winners or losers but how you plan to manage your trades once you are in them. If I only average a $25 loss from my losers and take in $300 from my winners, I have a Payoff Ratio of 1200%. I could have 4 dogs for every winners and still have a 300% Payoff Ratio. Good traders have to learn how to eat their young...

147 posts
msg #89224
Ignore stratiG
3/6/2010 9:34:05 PM

Risk/Potential Profit . That is the equation you should be thinking about. You can be right 10% of the time and still be profitable, but can your psyche handle it. The poster above is on the right track.

930 posts
msg #89235
Ignore miketranz
3/7/2010 10:22:27 AM

Good post.It's not just about being right on a percentage basis,it's all about how you manage the trades that you're in.What's your max downside loss? What's your max upside gain.These are the factors you won't find in any filters. Some of the most successful traders of all time,the honest ones,will tell you they're right maybe 50% of the time.Another great point is doing the opposite in trading.I'm a big believer in fading popular beliefs."Fade the gap" filter is good example and one of the best stand alone trading methods that I've ever used.If 95% of short term traders lose money,you wanna be positioned where the other 5% of the traders are.

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · contrarian trade<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. does not recommend particular securities., Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.