StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · bollinger bands 2<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up
wallman
299 posts
msg #26736
Ignore wallman
6/4/2003 4:00:41 PM

HI NO,your way of working the method sounds great to me,i'm not gonna argue with 26 wins out of 28 plays!!,in the recent jan to mid march market decline my win% dropped to about 2 out of 3 wins,before that i was getting about 75 -80%,and in the last month 9 out of 10,with that 66% i was still getting about the same % on my winners so it was still real good.....i'm with you on NEVER less than 50,000 volume,if i was looking for more plays i'd also raise the price,i put equal importance on tail and volume,if they are there it's a play on green,if not,they aren't,the % distance between bottom bb and top bb is also a factor for me also,getting them between 0% and 2% is what i strive for everytime but will go to 3% for the $1 to $3 stocks....your exit rules for yourself sound great,well thought out,for myself i don't mind giving back a little in order to get the big gains,an example would be my buy of RGX on 5 - 28,if i had been using a "get out at 10 - 15%" rule i would have been out in 1 or 2 days,missing its over 50% gain(as of now), but when i started playing this method i was clearly playing with the markets $ so i could afford to do it my way,i definitly see your point about 10% in 3 days being better than 20% in 15,it's just that i've had some nice 40% gains in a couple of weeks with my way,don't let me influence you or anyone else regarding when to exit a winning position,it's definitly a matter of personal choice...again i'm glad you're making it work,don't change a thing if you're doing well,it seems alot of folks are looking for the perfect method and perfect play and there a'int no such thing......keep in touch if anything new comes up or any ?'s.........MUDDY

no4j
45 posts
msg #26737
Ignore no4j
6/4/2003 4:18:22 PM

Sorry for the duplicate posting. Not sure why that happens. It has happened to me B4. Anyway, didn't do it on purpose.

no4j

no4j
45 posts
msg #26738
Ignore no4j
6/4/2003 6:04:48 PM

I'm posting this as a follow up and also just to see if I can post one without making duplicate posts. I really don't know what's up with that. Muddy, I want to thank you again for a great filter. Not just the filter, but a new way of thinking about reversals. This has truly helped me understand the relationship between price and volume. This relationship is constant for most other strategies as well. For instance, it's a lot easier now to spot breakouts before they happen. Almost like a light got turned on in my thick skull.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

no4j

wallman
299 posts
msg #26746
Ignore wallman
6/5/2003 11:00:55 AM

HI DICK, no i have never bought call options with the bb methods picks,but i see no reason why it won't work out fine,you're right about the fact if you have a good move,say $1,your profits should be increased substantially,as you stated,the only hangup as i see it will be finding enough of these stocks that carry options,then from those that number will be decreased as you should enter on green......if you give it a try,GOOD LUCK,MUDDY

wallman
299 posts
msg #26747
Ignore wallman
6/5/2003 11:18:58 AM

HI NO,you're more than welcome, to answer your ? regarding when the market turns down again better,another thing to remember is that IF you stick to your 5% initial stop and IF you are using a method that produces potentially high % gains you don't need that high of a win% to make a profit,say you have 2, 5% stops outs and a 16% gain,that's a 6% gain divided by a 3 stock portfolio which = a 2% gain for your acct,in fact,the belief that you need a method that must return over 50% winners to make $ is simply not true,if stops are obeyed and you have a method that can yield high % gains on the winners you do have....see ya , MUDDY

ddsmith2
10 posts
msg #26798
Ignore ddsmith2
6/9/2003 8:40:32 AM

Muddy,
Couple of questions as I continue to refine.

1) If you have a gain and it drops below you mental stop during the day, do you ever close out the position that day? Also, if you don't, you mentioned that you will watch the next morning and see if it goes red to sell. Does that mean anytime during the day so you could place a stop loss?
2) Do you have any techniques for getting out of low volume stocks without getting hammered too much on price or do you just use market orders and let it fall where it may?

Thanks

David

wallman
299 posts
msg #26799
Ignore wallman
6/9/2003 9:12:59 AM

HI DICK, if the stock price falls below my mental stop during the day i will always wait until the next open and if it opens red and stays red for a few minutes i will sell then,if it opens green i will hold until the next open,if it closes red after that green open i repeat the process the next open,if it closes green after that green open i just adjust my mental stop accordingly,if you are more comfortable by placing a physical stop after that green open to insure that it doesn't fall too far into the red after that would be fine,also if you can watch the stock during the day you could stop it out yourself if you see it turn red after a green open if you like,myself i like to hold and wait for the next open,just a matter of personal preference.....for getting out of low volume stocks i would use whatever technique you use for any other stock,if you use a market order,let it fall where it may......MUDDY

ray_reeves
5 posts
msg #26803
Ignore ray_reeves
6/9/2003 5:37:16 PM

Muddy,

Do you give a new position a time limit to start to move? I get a little anxious when a stock goes sideways for a few days after entering a trade.

Thanks

Ray

wallman
299 posts
msg #26804
Ignore wallman
6/9/2003 7:16:59 PM

RAY, good ?, if a stock that i have just bought starts to trade sideways from the beginning i give it 4 days,on the 5th day i will sell at the open if it doesn't open "decent"(judgement call)green and try to replace right then if there is a qualified play,i've already let the $ sit for 4 days,say i buy it monday at the open,if it just goes sideways i will watch the friday open to sell or hold.....if a stock i have held for 5 days or more moved up but then begins to trade sideways for a couple of days on that 7th day i will move my mental stop up 1% each day until either the stock begins to move up or if it continues sideways i will eventually have raised my stop to cause it to stop its self out,it's a good way to take your profit without any emotion involved,just let it be mechanical and go on to the next trade.....MUDDY

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · bollinger bands 2<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.