StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · What the hell is the smart money<< 1 2 3 4 >>Post Follow-up
Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #95621
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
modified
8/13/2010 10:30:02 AM

Making these clickable. The weekly variants are only for advanced subscriptions (I can't see the results because I have the basic subscription).

Fetcher[
/*DAILY TOPS*/
set{diff2,volume minus volume 3 days ago}
set{diff2%,diff2 / volume 3 days ago}
set{Vchange%,diff2% * 100}
set{v1,count(volume 1 day ago below volume 2 days ago, 1)}
set{v2,count(volume 1 day ago below volume 3 days ago, 1)}
set{p1,count(low 1 day ago below low 2 days ago, 1)}
set{p2,count(low 1 day ago below low 3 days ago, 1)}
set{p4,count(close 1 day ago above close 2 days ago, 1)}
set{p5,count(close 1 day ago above close 3 days ago, 1)}
set{pvsa, p1 + p2}
set{pvsaa, p4 + p5}
set{vsa, v1 + v2}
pvsaa > 1
vsa > 1
confirmt > 0
close < close 1 day ago
set{HiLoRng, High - Low}
set{ClOpRng, abs(Close minus Open)}
set{ClOp_HiLo_ratio, ClOpRng / HiLoRng}
set{Range, count(HiLoRng is below .05, 1)}
set{Body, count(ClOp_HiLo_ratio is less than .02, 1)}
set{doji, Range * Body}
set{A9, count(doji > 0 1 day ago,1)}
set{B9, count(doji > 0 2 days ago,1)}
set{OR1, A9 + B9}
OR1 above 0
optionable
add column Vchange%
]

Fetcher[
/*DAILY BOTTOMS*/
set{diff2,volume minus volume 3 days ago}
set{diff2%,diff2 / volume 3 days ago}
set{Vchange%,diff2% * 100}
set{v1,count(volume 1 day ago below volume 2 days ago, 1)}
set{v2,count(volume 1 day ago below volume 3 days ago, 1)}
set{p1,count(low 1 day ago below low 2 days ago, 1)}
set{p2,count(low 1 day ago below low 3 days ago, 1)}
set{p4,count(close 1 day ago above close 2 days ago, 1)}
set{p5,count(close 1 day ago above close 3 days ago, 1)}
set{pvsa, p1 + p2}
set{pvsaa, p4 + p5}
set{vsa, v1 + v2}
pvsa > 1
vsa > 1
confirmb > 0
add column Vchange%
set{HiLoRng, High - Low}
set{ClOpRng, abs(Close minus Open)}
set{doji, Range * Body}
set{A9, count(doji > 0 1 day ago,1)}
set{B9, count(doji > 0 2 days ago,1)}
set{OR1, A9 + B9}
OR1 above 0
close > close 1 day ago
optionable
]

Fetcher[
/*WEEKLY TOPS*/
weekly volume 2 weeks ago < weekly volume 3 weeks ago
weekly close 2 weeks ago > weekly close 3 weeks ago
weekly williams %r(2) 2 weeks ago > -40
weekly close 1 week ago > close
draw weekly VWMACD(2,3,1) on plot weekly VWMACD Histogram(2,3,9)
set{HiLoRng, weekly High - weekly Low}
set{ClOpRng, abs(weekly Close minus weekly Open)}
set{doji, Range * Body}
set{A9, count(doji > 0 1 week ago,1)}
set{B9, count(doji > 0 2 weeks ago,1)}
set{OR1, A9 + B9}
OR1 above 0
optionable
chart-display weekly
]

Fetcher[
WEEKLY BOTTOMS*/
weekly volume 2 weeks ago < weekly volume 3 weeks ago
weekly low 2 weeks ago < weekly low 3 weeks ago
weekly williams %r(2) 2 weeks ago < -70
weekly close 1 week ago < close
draw weekly VWMACD(2,3,1) on plot weekly VWMACD Histogram(2,3,9)
set{HiLoRng, weekly High - weekly Low}
set{ClOpRng, abs(weekly Close minus weekly Open)}
set{doji, Range * Body}
set{A9, count(doji > 0 1 week ago,1)}
set{B9, count(doji > 0 2 weeks ago,1)}
set{OR1, A9 + B9}
OR1 above 0
chart-display weekly
optionable
]

drew9
171 posts
msg #95635
Ignore drew9
8/13/2010 10:46:20 PM

Nice filter mystiq!

Bill as for my Connor's filter, I am still using it but while it backtested nicely, moving forward it has not offered many signals for me to trade. This was due to the price having to be above the MA and the current conditions. My main method now for stocks is a Bollinger system ( Bollinger Oscillator(16,2.2) crossed below -90) for longs. Wait for it to cross above -90 then apply the VSA techniques to validate the entry and best side of the market to trade. Do the opposite for shorts. A big thanks to Kevin for his prior work on this one!

the_trade123
107 posts
msg #95644
Ignore the_trade123
8/14/2010 2:22:01 PM

I am halfway into reading this book, and can certainly say that my thinking process has changed towards the markets. One of the better posts on this forum. Kudos!
As always,
GLTY
Trader

the_trade123
107 posts
msg #95645
Ignore the_trade123
modified
8/14/2010 3:00:24 PM

msg #95616
- Ignore wkloss 8/13/2010 12:54:54 AM

Thanks for the responses and a few more questions:

mktmole, what is SOA? Solutia?

Everyone, is it really necessary to spend $5K on the software to use VSA?

drew9, is your Connors system still working like you described it a while back? I spent a lo of time trying to backtest individual ETF's like you did...then the day job dragged me back. From the Godfather..."Just when I thought I was out, they drug back in".

All of your responses are appreciated.

Bill

Bill, seemingly you can lease the same software for 3 months and give it a try. the price is about $500 and if you really like the software you can also buy it by paying the remainder of the cost...both the real time and the EOD softwares are available to be leased.
GLTY
Trader

CarpeMomentum
8 posts
msg #95647
Ignore CarpeMomentum
8/14/2010 4:57:53 PM

This is a fantastic thread. Thanks for all the great links!

I'm in the midst of developing VSA-based reversal signals for both tops and bottoms. My preliminary filters are evolving nicely, but I've run into a bit of a roadblock.

While these techniques seem to be getting a decent picture on accumulation and distribution at tops and bottoms, I'm having a little more difficult time wrapping my mind around implementing VSA as a signal for trend continuation. I'm leaning toward implementing something using filters which try to isolate professional gap ups/downs in order to confirm trend momenta. Any thoughts on this?

the_trade123
107 posts
msg #95671
Ignore the_trade123
8/16/2010 2:03:49 AM

One really does not need to buy the tradeguider software. The book is very well written and the concepts in the book are all what you can actually implement. If we can be successful in trading / investing using stockfetcher's technical signals, and if you understand well, what the VSA methodology is, you can do very well on position trading. For day trading, it is a different ballgame altogether and may be purchasing the software is worthwhile. But in reality apart from a few counter intuitive concepts which actually explain how essentially a double top and a double bottom are created ("testing") and their relation to volume and how the final shake out buying and selling happen, the other concepts are more or less understood. An excellent manuscript nevertheless.

mktmole
325 posts
msg #95686
Ignore mktmole
8/16/2010 5:02:22 PM

Bill ...
What is SOA? Solutia?

Everyone, is it really necessary to spend $5K on the software to use VSA?
- - - - - - - - - - - -

SOA is Solutia Inc.
SOL is ReneSola Ltd.
and both paint similiar "VSA pictures" to chart of IWM posted on 8/12

Personally before I spent that kind of money on software, I would want to know all it's in's and outs.
I would also want it to perform flawlessly, and TG does not.. but still having said this.... it depends on what works and fits for YOU. Therefore any value is in the eye of the beholder.
For $50/mth the new VSA club is an outstanding forum to "technically" learn the many VSA. Along with a free weekly video at traderscode.com. The moderators at both sites are experts, who are most helpful. They are independent of each other with the later site being owned by a former original partner in TG.

FWIW...
VSA software is based and advanced upon the original works of Richard Wyckoff.
The market principles of which are taught today in a full time program offered at Golden Gate University in San Francisco by professor Hank Pruden. I can also count a handful of other sites/software under different names and $$ etc, but all are based upon the original TG VSA,Wycoff principles.

VSA paints a chart/ picture of market activity, bar by bar. It is based upon volume activity, spread of the bar, the position of the close of the bar relative the yesterdays close. What is happening and why. This analysis can sometimes take up to 3 bars to paint-in before being displayed. Therefore it becomes difficult to can-a-scan for the activity now, that is evolving under so many different parameters, and over a "flexible" period of chart time.

More TG "sales" videos of information can be found at http://www.youtube.com/user/TradeGuider#p/a

It appears that as of today it has been announced by TGuider that their software will no longer be available for outright purchase after Sept.5th 2010 and only available as a yearly lease option.

hope this was insightful to some

rgds,
mm

drew9
171 posts
msg #95689
Ignore drew9
8/16/2010 9:33:38 PM

I went back and did not see this link on the prior posts. This website offers a lot of additional information regarding Wyckoff and VSA. In fact they have a forum devoted to each. I used this one awhile back to download and read Wyckoffs original works. This is probably the best site I have found for this info. You have to register but it is free and they will not bug you if you opt not to get emails.

http://www.traderslaboratory.com/forums/

the_trade123
107 posts
msg #95695
Ignore the_trade123
8/17/2010 1:35:29 AM

The question is: is there someway to tap into the potential of this software day to day. That would be good enough to pay the cost of the software back soon. I did check out the youtube videos and they were illustrative indeed.

In addition to the cost of the software there is ~$80 fees for data feed for real time and $30 for EOD. This can be tried for a few months and then depending on results you can continue. I think the "sept 5th, world is coming to an end" is a total BS marketing strategy. I would rather just try this for the 3 months if anything and then decide if at all.

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · What the hell is the smart money<< 1 2 3 4 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.