StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Trendline breakout<< >>Post Follow-up
nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #37876
Ignore nikoschopen
9/8/2005 7:11:32 PM

**This happens to be a rehash from the general forum**

I'm trying to filter out a stock that breaks above (or below) a trendline. The basic idea is to connect two dots from the previous 2 month high (or whatever you choose as the time frame) and the current week's high. ONLY IF YOU CAN DRAW THE DAMN LINE like you can for support & resistance. For example, look at the following filter:

Fetcher[
set{hi, high 8 week high}
set{lo, high 1 week high}
set{diff, hi - lo}
set{ratio, diff divided by lo}
ratio above 0.2
]

As you can see, I have given the two dots: the first as the 8-week high & the other as this weeks high. The price difference between the two must exceed 20%. Now if SF can allow us to draw a line between the two and find stocks that penetrate above or below the line, this filter would be satisfied.

TheRumpledOne
6,407 posts
msg #37882
Ignore TheRumpledOne
9/8/2005 11:05:44 PM

See this thread:

/* BREAKOUTS Punching through the top channel line */

nikoschopen
2,824 posts
msg #37888
Ignore nikoschopen
9/9/2005 4:07:58 AM

Rumpie, I don't see how the "slope of" expression can be substituted for a trendline. In an uptrend, the line is drawn from the lower low to the higher low. In a downtrend, the line is drawn from the higher high to the lower high. But the "slope of " line, on the other hand, seems to utilize the "median" approach. A sample chart given in the announcement forum (http://www.stockfetcher.com/stockdb/fetcher?p=forum⊂=view&fid=1004&tid=26934) illustrates my point. That's an uptrend for sure, but the line looks more like a median of a channel than an uptrend line. BTW, my idea of a trendline would work by using the "channel" filter (sort of, although that doesn't quite look right either). For instance, you can find an upside breakout with the following filter:

Fetcher[
Price crossed above top of a decreasing 120 day channel
]

Again, not a perfect trendline. On another note, I wonder if you can some how tweak the slope line of the "slope of". Since it appears as a median anyway, what if you bring it down 50% or above 50%? Can this be done? More thouoghts required...

Aadd
5 posts
msg #153905
Ignore Aadd
9/3/2020 8:33:48 PM

It's better to add this condition to get better result.
RSI is crossed above 50

** Do you find how to draw line from high 8 week to high?

Thank you

Mactheriverrat
3,132 posts
msg #153906
Ignore Mactheriverrat
9/3/2020 10:36:57 PM

Draw high 8 week high

or try

Draw high 4 week high

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Trendline breakout<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.