StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · This is where it gets frustrating<< >>Post Follow-up
JoeyVinyl
125 posts
msg #150196
Ignore JoeyVinyl
1/8/2020 11:12:37 PM

Just yesterday I read about the Abandoned Baby candlestick pattern. I tried the one SF offers but it didn't seem quite right so I wrote my own. It doesn't specify anything for the most recent day because that's where I expect to see conformation or not in whatever chart comes up.

So why is it frustrating? It's because I tested each line by itself, and each part of the filter, to see if they gave me the results I wanted. They all seemed to work - separately. Put them together and I get nothing. Zip. Zilch. Nada. I did a custom date offset of 40 days, basically two months of trading days (more or less) and every day came up with zero results. I wrote it for bullish patterns but also reversed the aboves and belows to see if it worked for bearish patterns. I did get one result (DRRX, chart date 1/8/20), so I'm pretty sure it's not the filter. I'm just not getting results because the filter is too strict, for lack of a better word. I'll have to keep playing with it I guess.

Anyway, if someone wants an Abandoned Baby filter and feels like tweaking this one, here you go.

Fetcher[/* DOWN TREND */
Show stocks where close 4 days ago was below open 4 days ago
and close 4 days ago was above close 3 days ago

/* DOWN CANDLE */
and close 3 days ago was > 5% below open 3 days ago
and low 3 days ago was above high 2 days ago

/* FIND THE DOJI */
and close 2 days ago equals open 2 days ago
and high 2 days ago was above close 2 days ago
and low 2 days ago was below close 2 days ago

/* UP CANDLE */
and close 1 day ago was > 5% above open 1 day ago
and low 1 day ago was above high 2 days ago
]

compound_gains
221 posts
msg #150200
Ignore compound_gains
1/9/2020 9:25:58 AM

Your filter is too restrictive and it looks like your down candle condition is the biggest choking point.

Fetcher[
/* DOWN TREND */
set{x1, count(close 4 days ago below open 4 days ago, 1)}
set{x2, count(close 4 days ago above close 3 days ago, 1)}
set{x3, x1 + x2}
set{dtrend, count(x3 equals 2, 1)}

/* DOWN CANDLE */
set{x4, count(close 3 days ago more than 5% below open 3 days ago, 1)}
set{x5, count(low 3 days ago above high 2 days ago, 1)}
set{x6, x4 + x5}
set{dcndle, count(x6 equals 2, 1)}

/* FIND THE DOJI */
set{x7, count(close 2 days ago equals open 2 days ago, 1)}
set{x8, count(high 2 days ago above close 2 days ago, 1)}
set{x9, count(low 2 days ago below close 2 days ago, 1)}
set{x10, x7 + x8}
set{x11, x10 + x9}
set{ftdoji, count(x11 equals 3, 1)}

set{tot1, dtrend + dcndle}
set{tot, tot1 + ftdoji}

add column dtrend
add column dcndle
add column ftdoji
add column tot

sort column 8 descending
]

JoeyVinyl
125 posts
msg #150201
Ignore JoeyVinyl
1/9/2020 10:03:23 AM

I think it's too restrictive as well, and I've tried changing to a smaller percentage and still not getting results. I've done some more reading this morning and I think the problem isn't the down candle part but that I'm looking for a doji that gaps below the low rather than the close of the previous candle, and the low rather than the open of the following candle. I'm guessing that it's fairly rare to find a doji that meets those conditions (or gaps up if you're looking for a bearish pattern). I'm going to tweak that first and see what happens.

I do appreciate the input, and maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see your filter looking for an upcandle after the doji.

compound_gains
221 posts
msg #150203
Ignore compound_gains
1/9/2020 10:26:44 AM

It is not a fix. All my filter does is show you the hits for each condition set and highlights that your down candle condition very rarely hits, which means that your requirement for all three conditions to hit will very rarely be met.

JoeyVinyl
125 posts
msg #150213
Ignore JoeyVinyl
1/9/2020 4:30:30 PM

Yeah, I can see that it's going to be rare. I tweaked it a little and got one result for today, but today's candle didn't continue an uptrend (which is what I'm looking for) so that one won't get my money. It's not the only strategy I'm using, but I like trying different things. If it shows me a result that I like I'll paper trade it for a while. Here's the final version.

Fetcher[/* DOWN TREND */
Show stocks where close 4 days ago was below open 4 days ago
and close 4 days ago was above open 3 days ago

/* DOWN CANDLE */
and where close 3 days ago was > 1% below open 3 days ago
and close 3 days ago was above open 2 days ago

/* FIND THE DOJI */
and close 2 days ago equals open 2 days ago
and high 2 days ago was above close 2 days ago
and low 2 days ago was below close 2 days ago

/* UP CANDLE */
show stocks where close 1 day ago was > 1% above open 1 day ago
and open 1 day ago was above close 2 days ago
]

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · This is where it gets frustrating<< >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.