StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Requesting Popular Filter Updates<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up
mrisinger
1 posts
msg #138478
Ignore mrisinger
9/30/2017 7:02:58 PM

So there are a few threads (shillllihs, 13th_floor, TheRumpledOne, to name a few) that are popular, but are overwhelmingly long and have been ongoing for 10+ years. Is there any chance I could convince anyone to post their latest filters that they currently use along with a brief description of how they trade them?

Lapre506
48 posts
msg #138482
Ignore Lapre506
10/1/2017 1:00:53 PM

IMHO you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not reading the threads of the filters you are considering using. Before I went live with the TRO Slo Cooker I took an afternoon and read the entire thread. Someone could post the final versions of the filters but without knowing the trials and tribulations that lead to the eventual changes that were made you're missing out on some crucial info.

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #138484
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
10/2/2017 9:23:20 AM

Agreed. And just because a thread has 500+ posts does not make that filter more valuable than others. Spend time and read through the forums - it is a valuable exercise that will help you become a better trader.

shillllihs
5,974 posts
msg #138493
Ignore shillllihs
10/2/2017 12:04:24 PM

Yeah, i wouldn't give too much credence to long threads, every trader only has part of the puzzle figured.
Shills is a great instinctive trader who has now put the puzzle together, but his thread is riddled with bullshit.
Tro is like a nutty professor but his methods don't fully pan out. Kevin tries to present things in a comprehensive way and often comes close to figuring things out but Lucy always finds a way to pull the ball from him at the last second.

First step would be to identify the overall trend of the market by looking at monthly charts, then spend 1000s of hours cherry picking filters that are suited for the current market environment.

chi-town
44 posts
msg #138497
Ignore chi-town
10/2/2017 2:11:34 PM

Hi Kevin,
My question is on the vxx:spy ratio do you use the roc and ma 12 or roc and ma 15 in your trading.
I feel the tool is great for timing the market using Iwm,qqq,and spy.
Thanks

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #138498
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
10/2/2017 2:41:19 PM

At this point in time I use a series of XIV filters for the majority of my trading. I now pay more attention to contango levels and the absolute level of the ^VIX than I do the VIX:SPY ratio.

chi-town
44 posts
msg #138500
Ignore chi-town
10/2/2017 3:47:27 PM

Thank you Kevin.
Do you care to share what and how you use xiv and the vix?
Thanks

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #138505
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
10/2/2017 7:27:35 PM

Well, they do not translate into SF code. I use Stratasearch exclusively for trading system development. My current XIV multi-system actually employs 40 separate individual XIV trading signals, which I trade based on 10 equal allocations of my trading capital. Rarely do more the 10 trigger at any given time, so this helps to maximize profit by keeping more money in trades rather than sitting around.

My biggest problem is to trade it exactly as it is designed - I always try to get an extra nickel or dime, usually missing good entries out of small greed impulses. Today was a good example of this. Rather than buy at the open ($98.21) I wanted to be in at $98, which never filled. I also tend to roll out of trades before the proper exit is signaled, usually leaving a chunk of profit on the table.

chi-town
44 posts
msg #138514
Ignore chi-town
10/3/2017 9:32:39 AM

Thank You for your insight.
Maybe try trading smaller, would give you the confidence to just follow the system.

Thanks again

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #138520
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
10/3/2017 12:53:55 PM

Smaller trades are not really the issue - what I keep finding is that I am trying to get in at a better price than the open only to see XIV climb steadily throughout the session. Trade size is not a factor as much as hubris is.

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · Requesting Popular Filter Updates<< 1 2 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.