StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · BOLLINGER BAND TRADING STRATEGY<< 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 39 >>Post Follow-up
Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #80571
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
10/2/2009 7:03:41 PM

Gabe:

I am trying to think how this could be done in a backtest, but I think it is too subtle - no simple relationship for telling SF backtesting how or when to exit. Once the stock closes above the UBB, it could in theory run for months above the median line, which acts as a moving stop (but not a trailing stop as defined by a set percentage).

Might have to look at this manually for a few stocks and see.

gabestogie
79 posts
msg #80578
Ignore gabestogie
modified
10/2/2009 10:21:29 PM

Kevin:
I spent few hours on Stock Charts.com plugging in dift. scenarios on dift. charts. even NUS. I thought perhaps that maybe a second MA or EMA like a 5,6,10 etc. along with the MA16 might click a light bulb.Notta,Notta. Sometimes a picture is worth a thsn wrds.
Gabe

NUS to release earnings later this month,just might be sitting on a lot of cash.

gabestogie
79 posts
msg #80579
Ignore gabestogie
10/2/2009 10:42:23 PM

kevin:
Also looking at Vol. and divergences in the techs.
Looks like same thing took place around last week of July into 1st week of Aug. in Nus.
Gabe

gabestogie
79 posts
msg #80592
Ignore gabestogie
modified
10/3/2009 10:24:49 PM

Kevin:
Tried to send you a chart from Thinkorswim on NUS. They use Prohet.com. Still learning the program which I am impressed with.
Anyway they show buy and sell signals and looks like they have been right on the $ with NUS, went back 2 yrs. and results look good. Looked at other charts also,to verify and got same impression.
Bring up chart YTD, they had several buy and sells leading up to 3/23 when they again issued a buy, next sell was 6/15,buy on 6/20, sell on 8/27 and the last signal issued was a buy on 9/09.

Now draw a trend line from the open on 4/07,you may see a clear picture, looks to me like this will give a good support at 17.95, even in this pullback it is still a buy, touched off here several times on the way up.

Gabe

correction:
8/27 was last sell signal

a24ali
15 posts
msg #80602
Ignore a24ali
modified
10/4/2009 11:57:30 AM

Gabe,

couldu yo explain more the sell/buy signal on Thinkorswim, i am learning the program, but cant find that. I'd appreciate if you could explain how u get that signal. Thanks in advance.

gabestogie
79 posts
msg #80605
Ignore gabestogie
modified
10/4/2009 12:55:11 PM

A24all:
I'll try my best to help you. Still learning myself.
Sign in, go to top where it says monitor/trade/analyze/scan/marketwatch/charts/tools/help
Click on CHARTS
Type a symbol in where it reads symbol,(4th line down from top), on same line and to the right you could change the time frames.
On the left of the chart you will see,Quote at the top of the center collumn and going down you wil then find headings such as cndle patterns,tech. studies,breakout studies,scroll down in those ares and you will find techs such as MA WITH BREAKOUT SIGNALS.
Click and hold on MA WITH BREAKOUT SIGNALS, you should be able to drag it onto the chart.
Try it,

Gabe

AFTER YOU HOVER OVER CHARTS THEN CLICK ON PROHPET

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #80623
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
10/5/2009 10:01:39 AM

In on RADS at $10.50 (limit order to catch a lower price - the ask was $11.22, so there was no way I was going to fill the order at market if I could avoid it!!). It opened at 10.62.

In on TAST at $7.44 (market).

durgin
60 posts
msg #80627
Ignore durgin
10/5/2009 11:58:34 AM

This BB trading strategy focuses on temporary weakness and is impressive with its annualized returns.
Another approach that can be just as good or even better is to focus on strength rather than weakness.
For example here is a simple approach that has a very strong performance:
Fetcher[Show stocks where close gained more than 20 percent over the last 30 days and apply to watchlist(IBD1,IBD2,IBD3)]

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #80635
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
modified
10/5/2009 1:08:35 PM

Agreed. I quickly backtested your filter using a 20% profit stop (no trailing stop or stop loss). Annualized return was 133% for the last four months (6/5 through the open today).

Same timeframe and exit criteria for the BB strategy gave an annualized return of 233%. But both strategies yielded about the same equity summary - ~$24,000 in profit for the period, before commissions.

gabestogie
79 posts
msg #80650
Ignore gabestogie
10/5/2009 3:34:04 PM

kevin:
Nice bounce on STEC on news released.
Gabe

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · BOLLINGER BAND TRADING STRATEGY<< 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 39 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.