StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · BOLLINGER BAND TRADING STRATEGY<< 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 39 >>Post Follow-up
gabestogie
79 posts
msg #79606
Ignore gabestogie
9/18/2009 2:04:36 PM

Kevin:
Just ran the scan, WES popped up
Gabe

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #79609
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
9/18/2009 2:35:34 PM

WES was taken out of IBD3 because it had dropped below 85 (posted this on 9/15). I am not sure if this would be a good play yet - need to look at it some more over the weekend. Can still buy in on Monday if things look good.

gabestogie
79 posts
msg #79611
Ignore gabestogie
9/18/2009 2:40:00 PM

Kevin:
I was going back thru the delete list when you replied to my post.
Sorry about that.
Gabe

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #79612
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
9/18/2009 2:43:17 PM

No need to apologize - look at this closely anyway. Just because it isn't on the most recent list, it WAS a highly ranked stock from IBD just a few months ago.

a24ali
15 posts
msg #79622
Ignore a24ali
9/18/2009 3:24:42 PM

Kevin,

I am following your BB strategy for about two weeks now and I have to say, it been good so far. I am working on my entry/ and looking for confirmation. I decided to use the effective volume by Pascal Willain as a confirmation method. See if large players are buying the stock or selling it. Using this technique, i would not have bought AAP, MANT, TNDM, STEC (ther was increase sell by the large players in the last 2 days, but today, it seems effective volume picking up steam). Using same technique, LINC seemed to be good buy.

Another case is AMED, the effective volume showed large sell off on sept. 2, 3 and by Sept. 4 the effective volume (by large players) went up again indicating big funds were buying the stock.

I will do more back testing of this strategy over the weekend and see if this holds in most cases..

Thanks for sharing your filter with us..

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #79638
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
9/18/2009 5:34:34 PM

a24ali:

Would you mind explaining the concept of effective volume? Also, have you written any code for it in SF or backtested anything using this strategy?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #79640
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
9/18/2009 6:26:45 PM

A quick google search told me that this uses 1-minute data (something I can't do right now). This system is an end-of-day strategy. His concept of Active Boundaries seems structurally consistent with this approach, however.

I can't seem to find anything on them or how they might be calculated. Thoughts?

gabestogie
79 posts
msg #79645
Ignore gabestogie
9/18/2009 10:36:10 PM

A24ali, thank you so much for sharing this.

Kevin{ this will work I'm sure. Have also been playing around with the money flow index. It appears to me that the W% may be an earlier indicator by a least 1 day at times.
Gabe

Kevin_in_GA
4,599 posts
msg #79648
Ignore Kevin_in_GA
modified
9/18/2009 11:11:15 PM

Just thinking about this a little bit further ...

Not sure that we need to adjust this system - it is simple in concept and execution, has been backtested through good times and bad, and still delivers 80% success rates on average.

Always willing to look at improvements, but I'm not so keen on complicating a system that does not need to be more complicated.

a24ali, if you could show some of your thinking regarding when and why Effective Volime would be a confirming signal for some of these stocks:

AMED
STAR
OTEX

STEC
DL
FHCO

Be nice to see how Active Boundaries would have treated these versus Bollinger Bands.

EdmondDantes
20 posts
msg #79669
Ignore EdmondDantes
9/19/2009 6:24:14 PM

Hi ,
Hey check out OBV on balance volume this indicator gives an early shot of when the buyers come back in and works well with Bollinger bands .

StockFetcher Forums · Filter Exchange · BOLLINGER BAND TRADING STRATEGY<< 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 39 >>Post Follow-up

*** Disclaimer *** StockFetcher.com does not endorse or suggest any of the securities which are returned in any of the searches or filters. They are provided purely for informational and research purposes. StockFetcher.com does not recommend particular securities. StockFetcher.com, Vestyl Software, L.L.C. and involved content providers shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken based on the content.

Copyright 2022 - Vestyl Software L.L.C.Terms of Service | License | Questions or comments? Contact Us
EOD Data sources: DDFPlus & CSI Data Quotes delayed during active market hours. Delay times are at least 15 mins for NASDAQ, 20 mins for NYSE and Amex. Delayed intraday data provided by DDFPlus

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.